Super Contributor

Favorite genre?

[ Edited ]

When I first started listening to audiobooks about 15 years ago, I feasted on romances written by Sandra Brown, Elizabeth Lowell, Janet Dailey, Linda Howard, etc. Now, I am more attracted to mystery, thriller, and suspense novels written by James Patterson and his ilk.

Esteemed Contributor

@rustee I don't know if I have a favorite genre, I tend to read more "Phycholoical Thrillers", but then I like "Romance" too, I like sweet romance stories, not books filled with you know, but I also enjoy stories about communities and small towns where you come to know the citizens (The Mitford Series), I guess it really depends on my mood at the time I choose a book.

Honored Contributor

I both read and write in pretty much every genre. I like variety and good storytelling. If it's a good story, I'll give it a read. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor
Mostly romance or historical romance. Not so much contemporary romance because usually too much ***. I also like some that fall under the Inspirational category.
Trusted Contributor

I have not gotten into Audiobooks just yet but I enjoy Christian fiction books.  Kimberla Lawson Roby is one of my favorite authors in that genre.  I also enjoy romances written by Sherryl Woods.

Honored Contributor

Non-fiction and mysteries make up the majority of my books, with non-fiction coming it at around 40% of all my reading.

Honored Contributor

First choice is non-fiction:  ancient and medieval history; philosophy, theology; archaeology; anthropology.  

Fiction:    Sci-Fi and fantasy; historical fiction set in ancient and medieval times - for relaxation and amusement.

I'm particularly interested in early Christian writers.  I just started Augustine's City of God.  It's over 1000 pages. so it will take a couple of months to finish.  It's one of those "read-and-ponder" books.  

Can you imagine what these ancient writers  (who wrote on velum with a stick pen, by candle light) would think about me sitting here about 1600 years later reading their books on a Kindle?

Super Contributor

My favorite genre is mystery/suspense/thriller. I'm also a fan of courtroom drama and I will admit that I love a good cozy. I pretty much refused to read - or attempt to read anything else, until recently. I'm dipping my toes into reading historical fiction and non-fiction. 

Super Contributor

Re: Favorite genre?

[ Edited ]

@TaylorBrown wrote:

I have not gotten into Audiobooks just yet but I enjoy Christian fiction books.  Kimberla Lawson Roby is one of my favorite authors in that genre.  I also enjoy romances written by Sherryl Woods.

@TaylorBrown

I have loved listening to all of the books in the O'Brien family series Sherryl has been writing. I enjoy Amish books during the holiday season.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

First choice is non-fiction:  ancient and medieval history; philosophy, theology; archaeology; anthropology.  

Fiction:    Sci-Fi and fantasy; historical fiction set in ancient and medieval times - for relaxation and amusement.

I'm particularly interested in early Christian writers.  I just started Augustine's City of God.  It's over 1000 pages. so it will take a couple of months to finish.  It's one of those "read-and-ponder" books.  

Can you imagine what these ancient writers  (who wrote on velum with a stick pen, by candle light) would think about me sitting here about 1600 years later reading their books on a Kindle?

@ALRATIBA Have you ever read "King of the Confessors" by Thomas Hoving? It sounds like it might be right up your alley. It's the story of an ancient carved ivory cross that appears after being out of sight for 800 years and the efforts of the Metropolitan Museum to learn more about it and acquire it. It's non-fiction and a very good read. It's also an older book so you may face a challenge in finding it, but if you find a copy, it might be something you'd like.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!