Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

First choice is non-fiction:  ancient and medieval history; philosophy, theology; archaeology; anthropology.  

Fiction:    Sci-Fi and fantasy; historical fiction set in ancient and medieval times - for relaxation and amusement.

I'm particularly interested in early Christian writers.  I just started Augustine's City of God.  It's over 1000 pages. so it will take a couple of months to finish.  It's one of those "read-and-ponder" books.  

Can you imagine what these ancient writers  (who wrote on velum with a stick pen, by candle light) would think about me sitting here about 1600 years later reading their books on a Kindle?

@ALRATIBA Have you ever read "King of the Confessors" by Thomas Hoving? It sounds like it might be right up your alley. It's the story of an ancient carved ivory cross that appears after being out of sight for 800 years and the efforts of the Metropolitan Museum to learn more about it and acquire it. It's non-fiction and a very good read. It's also an older book so you may face a challenge in finding it, but if you find a copy, it might be something you'd like.

@gardenman - thanks for that!

I checked my out-of-print/used book source and they have copies .... I bought one!  Sounds like a good read!  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

First choice is non-fiction:  ancient and medieval history; philosophy, theology; archaeology; anthropology.  

Fiction:    Sci-Fi and fantasy; historical fiction set in ancient and medieval times - for relaxation and amusement.

I'm particularly interested in early Christian writers.  I just started Augustine's City of God.  It's over 1000 pages. so it will take a couple of months to finish.  It's one of those "read-and-ponder" books.  

Can you imagine what these ancient writers  (who wrote on velum with a stick pen, by candle light) would think about me sitting here about 1600 years later reading their books on a Kindle?

@ALRATIBA Have you ever read "King of the Confessors" by Thomas Hoving? It sounds like it might be right up your alley. It's the story of an ancient carved ivory cross that appears after being out of sight for 800 years and the efforts of the Metropolitan Museum to learn more about it and acquire it. It's non-fiction and a very good read. It's also an older book so you may face a challenge in finding it, but if you find a copy, it might be something you'd like.

@gardenman - thanks for that!

I checked my out-of-print/used book source and they have copies .... I bought one!  Sounds like a good read!  

It's a good story. In fact, I dug out my copy and I'm rereading it now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Cozy mysteries because I like light reading.  I also like Presidential history and biographies.

Contributor

I am a Historical Fiction & Nonfiction buff.  I really enjoy 1800's, early 1900's.  I enjoy books about The Civil War, World War II, early America, pioneers, and plantations.

Respected Contributor

I am a psychological thriller fan first, then when I need a rest from that genre, I go to cozy mysteries to lighten it up a bit.  I have recently indulged in historical fiction.  @CareBears, I highly recommend ROBYN CARR'S VIRGIN RIVER SERIES based on what you posted here.  If you do, they should be read in order.  The first one is called VIRGIN RIVER, the next is SHELTER MOUNTAIN. There are 20 total.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop Thank you for the recommendation, you have reviewed a few books that I have indulged in and have enjoyed, so again, thank you, off to the library web site to see what they have!