Trusted Contributor

Re: Favorite cat and/or dog series books?

I just finished a book by an author new to me (found it at a library book sale after my first response to this question) -- it's "Once Bitten" -- a Melanie Travis Mystery -- by Laurien Berenson.  The lead character is involved in the dog show world with her Standard Poodles.  It says the author is a "four-time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction, given by the Dog Writers Association of America."  It's a well written cozy with interesting characters -- including the dogs.  The author has six poodles of her own.

This particular book was written in 2001 and is the eighth in the series.

Trusted Contributor

Donna Ball, author--Raine Stockton dog series. Wonderful series to find. She has a couplee of other series (hummingbird house). Love to read her things.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

I just finished a book by an author new to me (found it at a library book sale after my first response to this question) -- it's "Once Bitten" -- a Melanie Travis Mystery -- by Laurien Berenson.  The lead character is involved in the dog show world with her Standard Poodles.  It says the author is a "four-time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction, given by the Dog Writers Association of America."  It's a well written cozy with interesting characters -- including the dogs.  The author has six poodles of her own.

This particular book was written in 2001 and is the eighth in the series.

@Honeybit  Thanks for mentioning this series.  I've never heard of these books but just downloaded the first book in the series on my Kindle because of your post.  They sound like something I'd really like.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack   Thanks for letting me know -- I hope you'll enjoy them.  I'm going to look for more of them at our library.

Has anyone mentioned Carole Nelson Douglas and her "Midnight Louis" mystery series?  I had heard of Midnight Louis long  before I knew he was a cat!

Also, if you're a fan of science fiction, my dentist loves the Warriors series by Erin Hunter -- it's about four clans of warrior cats.  We were exchanging favorite sci fi titles, and he mentioned this series.  I like science fiction/fantsy, but had never run across these particular books.

Respected Contributor

@Honeybit  I used to faithfully read the Midnight Louie books.  They were very enjoyable and I loved the Las Vegas setting. I'm not sure why I got away from them. I just looked them up and read that the 28th and last Midnight Louie book was just published. Thanks for mentioning this series.

Trusted Contributor

Susan Conant was mentioned above -- she has written 20-plus books in the Dog Lover's Mysteries seriesI read the eight they had at our local library and enjoyed them.  On my To Read shelf I have two by Cynthia Robinson (Dog Park Club and Barbary Dogs), but since I haven't read them yet, I can't review them.  Also, while searching for similar books, I ran across this listing, but this little blurb is all I know about this author:

C. A. Newsome

C. A. (Carol Ann) Newsome writes the Lia Anderson Dog Park Mysteries, a series of fun, romantic suspense/mystery novels which are inspired by and centered around her mornings at the Mount Airy Dog Park with her trio of rescues (rowdy hooligans).

Respected Contributor

This is one of my all time favorite series!

Trusted Contributor

@rustee   and Everyone

There is a great web site for fans of Cozy Mysteries --

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

Down the left side of the home page are links to various lists.  If you click on Cozies by Themes you will get a list which includes ANIMAL THEMES -- further broken down by Cats, Dogs, Equestrian, Birds, and even Vets.