Super Contributor

Favorite cat and/or dog series books?

[ Edited ]

I'm a cat person. In the past, I have enjoyed the antics of the cat in Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen series.

I am enjoying the Ryder Creed series ~ he works with K-9 search-and-rescue dogs. On occasion, I listen to books in the Chet and Bernie series. Chet, the dog, narrates the adventures he has with his P.I. buddy Bernie.

Yours?

Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite cat and/or dog series books?

[ Edited ]

Lilian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who...." series with Koko and Yum YumHeart

I love these so much I've read some over many times!

She died several years ago. I was so sad to read that which is why I read them over so many times, I had already read them all at least once.

My daughter loves them too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I just read the first in the Chet and Bernie series and really enjoyed it. Plan on reading more in the series.

Honored Contributor

DH loves the Chet and Bernie series.

Respected Contributor

I recently read the first in the Chet and Bernie series, too, and enjoyed it very much.  And today I read what is a prequel to the series.  It's a short story on how Chet and Bernie first met, called A Cat Was Involved.  Delightful.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Lilian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who...." series with Koko and Yum YumHeart

I love these so much I've read some over many times!

She died several years ago. I was so sad to read that which is why I read them over so many times, I had already read them all at least once.

My daughter loves them too.

@on the bay    My favorite also!    I am now sharing them with my vet.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

In looking over my books, I seem to read a lot of mysteries that features dogs.  Some authors I enjoy are:  Donna Ball, Laurien Berenson, Susan Conant, Sue Henry, Virginia Lanier, David Rosenfelt, and Dana Stabenow.  The only cat series that I seem to read is by Sofie Kelly.  I also read the pet sitter books by Blaize and John Clement, which feature multiple animals.

Trusted Contributor

The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was Spencer Quinn's "Chet and Bernie" books.  I also like his two new ones about "Bowser and Birdie" set in Louisiana.  I'm a long-time fan of Sue Henry, especially her "Maxie and Stretch" books (Stretch is a dachshund who travels with Maxie in a camper; their home is in Alaska) -- sadly someone told me recently she is no longer writing.  I also enjoy David Rosenfelt's "Andy Carpenter" series -- in the first one I read, Andy is called upon to represent a Bernese Mountain puppy in a custody battle.

Honored Contributor

My favorite dog book is Clara, The Early Years: The story of the pug who ruled my life by Margot Kaufman is not to be missed IMO. Sadly there was never a sequel as she died of cancer in 2000. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

This  is not a series - but, in my opinion, is the BEST book EVER about a dog -

The Art of Racing in the Rain.

I've read it several times and never get tired of it.