Trusted Contributor

Does anyone else collect books? Like 1st editions or art books?

[ Edited ]

I have a fairly large book collection!  There are certain books I really like and have gone so far as to even collect the various first editions of some of my all time favorites!!   

I also tend to really love coffee table style art books and have perhaps hundreds of all my favorite artists!!Smiley Happy

My latest obsession is a small press in England that makes special edition books that are so beautiful called the Folio Society.  I discovered them a bit by accident several years ago when they had a both at a local book fair that I just happened to be walking by one day.  There is one limited edition book on birds that I just purchased from them that I have prominently displayed on my coffee table and just really enjoy looking through from time to time!!

I am curious if others out there also collect books.  It seems that having physical books is a bit passe.  However, I love how a home looks with large book cases and coffee tables which have lovely books  and I am curious how others feel.  I also love the smell and feel of books and being able to read and appreciate first editions, limited editions and art books!!!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else collect books? Like 1st editions or art books?

Not first additions but I used to collect cookbooks.  I had some really amazing cookbooks for many, many years back.  I gave them to my daughter.

She's busy writing her own cookbook on making life easy while camping out (rules and things to use).

Esteemed Contributor

I collect books with beautiful photographs of barns. I live in an area where the barns and family farms are fading fast.  When we ride through the country the beautiful barns make me smile.  I will hate to see them go.  Some of my best vacations as a child were spent on relatives farms.

I also collect books on backyard birds.  I am waiting on three books for my 6yr GS.  I ordered them from Amazon, two have recordings of the songs, the third is a National Geographic book for kids.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to say that ever since my daughter was born I have given her pop-up books.  They started out being for children but over the years they are mostly for adults as they are very beautiful and intricate.

She's now 36 and she told me recently when she's ill or having a down day she gets some out and looks at them.  She said they take her to a wonderful place and make her feel good.

I recently had a conversation with one of my granddaughters (she's 13).  She goes to a gifted school and has a very high IQ so I've always been able to talk to her like an adult.  She reads constantly.

The conversation was about 'Do you prefer reading from a computer (like E-books)'.  She said, "I'm like you Grandma, I'd always rather be able to turn the pages in a book than download the book and read it that way".  She said, "I like to feel the paper when I turn the pages and be able to easily go back and reference something".  That's exactly what I like.  I didn't tell her but her Mom, (my oldest daughter) was exactly like that too.  They are now traveling in France and England for a few weeks and she said her mom told her "You'll never be able to carry all of those books with you.  You must download them".  She said, "Grandma, I told her, I'll leave my clothes home, wear my sister's clothes to make room for my books".  Ha!  I thought that was funny.

I think people don't understand why some prefer to have an actual book in their hands.  I gather that's the way the OP and maybe others feel.  I do understand.  I'm so worried with the way publishers are disappearing that this will one day happen.  Ugh!

I hope I didn't get O/T on this but to me it's similar.  If I did, I apologize...Annabelle.

Valued Contributor

I could refer to my house as "The Stacks".  Books are everywhere, in every room.  My daughter and I collect books. She collects Stephen King and his pseudonym. She has a few first editions, and one that was in a museum. She collects other authors as well. 

I am an avid reader and collect many different authors. I do have several Kindles, but I prefer hardcover books. I love the feel of a new book and the reading experience it gives. I just don't get that from an e-reader. If I do not have a book I am reading, I will actually get depressed. (I know that sounds crazy, but it is true.)

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

O/T

@Annabellethecat66

@ECBG is looking for you

in Among Friends board.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Not first additions but I used to collect cookbooks.  I had some really amazing cookbooks for many, many years back.  I gave them to my daughter.

She's busy writing her own cookbook on making life easy while camping out (rules and things to use).

How lovely to share them with your daughter!  I don't think I could give up some of mine!!  I have tried but just can't right now Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I collect books with beautiful photographs of barns. I live in an area where the barns and family farms are fading fast.  When we ride through the country the beautiful barns make me smile.  I will hate to see them go.  Some of my best vacations as a child were spent on relatives farms.

I also collect books on backyard birds.  I am waiting on three books for my 6yr GS.  I ordered them from Amazon, two have recordings of the songs, the third is a National Geographic book for kids.

Wonderful!  I love bird books!! There is a vary special one I just got but I don't think I can post the link.  If you look up Folio Society Birds of Paradise you should find it through Google,however, if curious!!  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I could refer to my house as "The Stacks".  Books are everywhere, in every room.  My daughter and I collect books. She collects Stephen King and his pseudonym. She has a few first editions, and one that was in a museum. She collects other authors as well. 

I am an avid reader and collect many different authors. I do have several Kindles, but I prefer hardcover books. I love the feel of a new book and the reading experience it gives. I just don't get that from an e-reader. If I do not have a book I am reading, I will actually get depressed. (I know that sounds crazy, but it is true.)

Wonderful!  Books make such a lovely addition to any home!!  I love lots of books everywhere and thank beautifully organized libraries in the home!! 

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I forgot to say that ever since my daughter was born I have given her pop-up books.  They started out being for children but over the years they are mostly for adults as they are very beautiful and intricate.

She's now 36 and she told me recently when she's ill or having a down day she gets some out and looks at them.  She said they take her to a wonderful place and make her feel good.

I recently had a conversation with one of my granddaughters (she's 13).  She goes to a gifted school and has a very high IQ so I've always been able to talk to her like an adult.  She reads constantly.

The conversation was about 'Do you prefer reading from a computer (like E-books)'.  She said, "I'm like you Grandma, I'd always rather be able to turn the pages in a book than download the book and read it that way".  She said, "I like to feel the paper when I turn the pages and be able to easily go back and reference something".  That's exactly what I like.  I didn't tell her but her Mom, (my oldest daughter) was exactly like that too.  They are now traveling in France and England for a few weeks and she said her mom told her "You'll never be able to carry all of those books with you.  You must download them".  She said, "Grandma, I told her, I'll leave my clothes home, wear my sister's clothes to make room for my books".  Ha!  I thought that was funny.

I think people don't understand why some prefer to have an actual book in their hands.  I gather that's the way the OP and maybe others feel.  I do understand.  I'm so worried with the way publishers are disappearing that this will one day happen.  Ugh!

I hope I didn't get O/T on this but to me it's similar.  If I did, I apologize...Annabelle.

Lovely Smiley Happy