Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

I totally agree, the library is much more than the books. It offers so many other kinds of programming. Mine is also a really wonderful environment where I can find good sitting areas, tables, and a patio part of the year, surrounded by people reading, browsing and learning. And don't forget the librarians, wonderful people who are trained to help patons find out anything and everything.

Trusted Contributor

I have a love/hate relationship with the public library in my town.  I dislike the location because it is in a not-so-nice part of town, out of the way of anywhere else I go, and the parking is terrible.  The kindle downloads are a joke.  It takes months to get popular new titles.  

I very much like that the library provides multiple copies of books for my book club every month.  It is a great service.  I only go there occasionally for books myself.

On a side note, my church is doing away with its library because of low usage.  Books are being given away and the room will be repurposed.  

Honored Contributor

I don't but the libraries in my local area aren't very inspiring.  So I tend to buy a lot on Amazon.

However when I was a kid and my family moved to the NJ town that I grew up in the area was getting built up.  A new public library opened about a year after we moved in and at the time it was a state of the art building.  It was very attractive on the outside for the time period.  It had the look of a ski lodge.

I had heard that in recent years a new building had replaced it.  So though I wasn't completely surprised when I finally went back a few weeks ago after not seeing the library for many years I was nevertheless amazed to see this new building!  It's HUGE!!  It looks like a building that one would see at a large major university that just had a brand new library built with soaring windows and modern architecture.  I had to ask myself just how many people use this new facility?

I suppose it could be used for multiple purposes and perhaps they have meetings for several community groups, etc.  I could check their website but then I would just feel the void in my own local area.

Honored Contributor

@maggi the cat wrote:

While I agree that people are more disrespectful about noise at the libraries now, I will never read books on an electronic device.  I grew up with a mother who took us to the library weekly from a young age, and I love going today.   I want to hold the book, look through the book before I choose one, and the friendliness of library assistants.  I hate to see people say no to libraries and sit on their chairs and look at another electronic device to read.

I also went to the library weekly from a young age and couldn't imagine not having any books to read. I agree that it's wonderful to browse through books before selection one.

However as I've gotten older my eyes have gotten worse and my Paperwhite Kindle has saved me from the frustration of having to use readers.  I can easily adjust the screen to see clearly and there is no glare like there is on many periodicals.  I wish my eyes were better but it is what is is and for me a Kindle is a lifesaver....not to mention the fact that I can carry a virtual library around in my purse!...a bonus when I go for a visit to see my mother for several days.

Trusted Contributor

I am a library lover, and hate the thought of libraries closing.  I go to the library once or twice a week.  I read a lot of new best-sellers, so the library saves me a fortune.  The librarians are always so pleasant and helpful, if I need them.  The branch that I visit the most is always jam-packed.

Honored Contributor

I go frequently and understand libraries most stay ahead of society's needs.  I have no problem with the people 'talking' or children.

Trusted Contributor

I go to the library at least once a week - no e-books / no Kindle downloads, for me.

Honored Contributor

I go to the library electronically and borrow books to my kindle. You can have them for 1 ,2,or 3 weeks. It's free, just like getting a library book.

Honored Contributor

Our library has a lot of benches outside alongside the parking lot. Now we have to walk through all the homeless who spend all day there begging. It is horrible just to walk from your car to the building.I think ultimately they will probably have to remove those benches.

Honored Contributor

Boy, we sure do. Hubby just went and got some CD's he can put on the computer and I love to save $$$$ and get books to read. It gives us a freebee out of the house. We're retired, so if it's free and doesn't = pain, I'm all for it. LOL