Respected Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

My daughter loves to go to the library and she's 27.  She has always loved books.  When Kindle first came out I wanted to get one for her but she said no, she'd rather hold the real book.  She also loves perusing used book stores. 

Trusted Contributor

Love iBooks. Love Kindle and Amazon. Love local bookstores and Barnes/Noble. AND, love the library. There's nowhere like a library for browsing, dreaming, working, being curious and being entertained. I use three different libraries in my vicinity. One has noon concerts. Another has a wonderful reading room. The other has a great bookstore, coffee bar and auditorium. And they're all filled with books and books and books.....

Sigh.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Libraries served as my babysitter as a child....I learned to have a love and special bond with reading/books. I'm sure that some of my spiritual interests were fostered in the library and would never have been exposed to different ideas if it weren't for being parked in a library for hours.  I can remember certain books that I read at a young age that influenced life long interests that young children most likely would never have considered.   My home today has a library.  I've weeded out most books except for art and esoteric interests and even at that most rooms have bookshelves.  I like to study, browse, reflect, take notes in the margins, and underline and this is a treat as time is luxury.  I've tried to resort to using the library and had to order books from inter-library services in order to find the books that I'm interested in.  By the time I go through this process, drive back and forth, and burdened with a deadline, I've basically resorted to limiting my browsing to possibly checking out a book just to decide if it is worth buying to own. At this point, many books I'm searching for are out of print and not available in the library.   I think libraries are a critical cultural institution and reflect priorities in society.  Some people do not have the luxury of being able to purchase books/DVDs and I perceive it an a leveler of educational equanimity.  I agree with SIDS comment re the buggy aspects of older books and I prefer to own mine for several reasons, but not everyone has that option.  It was a gift that I was exposed to libraries as a young child and I think was instrumental in my love of learning.  Most of my books serve as research and I'm not much of a fiction reader so Kindles have never been a priority.  Even if I'm not in a library very often, I support their critical necessary existence as an institution.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before I retired in October, 2015, I used to go to my library at least 2x a week.  Since then, went to my local once because I'm trying to catch up on my books I haven't read for years and have been winning on Goodreads and LibraryThing so no need.  Haven't used their elibrary as yet and refuse to read anything but paper.  LOL.  Not a converter yet to ebooks yet. Might be a long time too.

I know if I went to the library, I'd get tons of books since I'm way behind in my books that I haven't read in years (way before I stopped going).  Yet, I keep adding books to my list.

Super Contributor

My library offers more than just books.  It offers ESL classes, citizenhip classes, small business seminars, literacy classes, passport services, computer classes even free eye exams!  And much more. 

Honored Contributor

@sunalaI agree with everything you said. It's a zoo. And the people who just come in to use the computers? Add them to the list. Do you remember the big signs in the library  that said, Shhhhhhh.......with a lady on the sign holding a finger to her lips? What the heck happened. It irks me no end to go there but I try and get that old feeling back. Mostly now it's, get in and get out. Pick up my "hold" and scram. I once asked the librarian what happened to the idea that we were supposed to be quiet in the library. She just laughed. I just left.

Regular Contributor

While I agree that people are more disrespectful about noise at the libraries now, I will never read books on an electronic device.  I grew up with a mother who took us to the library weekly from a young age, and I love going today.   I want to hold the book, look through the book before I choose one, and the friendliness of library assistants.  I hate to see people say no to libraries and sit on their chairs and look at another electronic device to read.

Frequent Contributor

Yes.  In fact I work part-time at the library where I live.  No kindle for me as I love holding a book.  I do still buy special books but not like I use to.. I've read many more books this way. And the library is Free.  They are a great resource and value in this daly and age with higher & higher prices on everything.  I hope we never out teck a real book. Librarys offer a lot of help to patrons too.

Honored Contributor

No. But when I drive by my local library, the parking lot is always full, so I imagine  many people do go. 

Respected Contributor

Yes!  I have a kindle and love it but I go at least once a week to the library.  Love to read the magazines and also check out books to read before bed.