Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Buy Your Books or Go To The Library?

I've never been big on buying fiction. It always seemed like a waste when I was going to read it once and that is all. 

I used to to get my books from the library or from friends who were passing on books they had. Now I get most on my Kindle for free and occasionally pay for a Kindle book. Once in a while I get a book (or DVD) from the library. 

Most of of the books I buy now are reference type books that I will use regularly.

Valued Contributor

Since I am a librarian, you already know my answer! Libraries are one of the best things that come from paying your taxes. I also don't suffer any guilt when I try a book and PTB after a few chapters...it didn't cost me anything. Plus, the ambiance of a library encourages sharing of favoite titles and authors with other like-minded readers--sort of like this forum!

Trusted Contributor

Both...I always try to get my books from the library.  Since I live in a small city, our library doesn't always have a book I'm looking for, but they are very helpful in locating the book for me in another library and getting it for me for only a $.50 charge.

If I'm wanting an out of print book, I go to ebay or another book webstore that carries out of print books and almost always get them at a VERY good price.

For gifts of course, I always purchase a brand new book at Amazon or our local book store.

Esteemed Contributor

I only go to the library anymore.  Now that I have moved and retired, there is a wonderful, large one very close by.  Actually it is on the way to the grandkids, so I am always going by.  But their electronic selection is very limited and I have been considering Amazon's lending programs.

Honored Contributor

I do not purchase books, I use digital subscription services for most of my reading, Playster, Scribd and Hoopla are very user friendly and also have audio books.

Esteemed Contributor

Love my public library! I also find books at thrift stores, our Friends of the Library sales and yard sales.
Honored Contributor

Another library girl here.  There is one series of books that I read that I do buy via Kindle.  Or there may be a book I know I want to keep forever (very rare) or a nonfiction reference book that I'll buy to have on hand but other than that, I'm a borrower.  

Esteemed Contributor

I use my e-library for my Kindle books, and my brick and mortar library for books I want to read that haven't come out in Kindle.

I haven't bought a book of fiction in more years than I can remember. I do buy some non-fiction from Amazon now and again, but that's about it.

My library is amazing.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

I use my e-library for my Kindle books, and my brick and mortar library for books I want to read that haven't come out in Kindle.

I haven't bought a book of fiction in more years than I can remember. I do buy some non-fiction from Amazon now and again, but that's about it.

My library is amazing.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Lucky you! I'm envious!!!

My small town library has a very small budget . I'm very glad though that they have a phenomenal childrens' selection. Kids like to hold a book.

Super Contributor

I purchase mine and then re-sale them on Ebay. I have donated some to our Library and non-profit organizations for them to sell.

About a week ago I went to the library and most of the authors that I read the books they have are ones I have already read. Did pick up 2 from a different author but  haven't been able to get into it. Slow reading. 

Will probably just stick with me buying them and reselling or donating.