Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Buy Your Books or Go To The Library?

I get my books from the library.  However, if I like the book I will purchase it.  I check Thriftbooks for used books, the library store and sometimes I do buy a new book.  The books I usually buy are dealing with art or gardening.

Valued Contributor

Definitely library. I don't want to spend money on something I will read once. I will buy a Kindle book if the library doesn't have what I want. I love books, but I am decluttering my house, so not having books that I am not going to read again is one way to clear things out. 

Honored Contributor

Mostly library. I also give them a yearly donation because they serve a good purpose. I wish people wouldn't use the library as a video shop. I've seen people checking out dozens of movies and not a single book.
Honored Contributor

I hit the library about twice a week every week but they are only two blocks from my office so very convenient.  The only "store bought" brand new books I have had in years and years are always gifts, and I do not receive many of those since I am usually the first one on hold for a new release at the library.  My boss' wife bought me a ton of new books once and I a had read them all.

I do hit book fairs here in my town and the Dr. Auxiliary Club book fair usually sales their used books for $1.00 per grocery store bag (filled to the top and up)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I get my books and now ebooks from the library. I never bought fiction and the only books I have bought were either cooking or gardening which I can count on both hands.

I have to really like a book to purchase since space is limited.

Trusted Contributor

I have a neurological condition that makes looking at screens difficult for lengthy periods of time, so I do not use a Kindle, I need to read actual books.

Years ago, I went to the library often, but found I tended to return them late and paid fines.  I increasingly turned to purchasing used books.  I can find them as cheaply as 5 cents a piece at one of our local thrift stores.  There's also a little "free lending library" a few blocks from my house.  I'm happy to pay a small price for my used books and then donate them back, because I can take my time reading them.

I am blessed, in that I DO have a designated library in my house.  I enjoy my books.

Respected Contributor

Both. Thought I have been doing the e-books from library lately.

I like to purchase hard covers for my favorite author/series.  Some paperbacks I buy used from Amazon or EBay.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
Mostly library. I also give them a yearly donation because they serve a good purpose. I wish people wouldn't use the library as a video shop. I've seen people checking out dozens of movies and not a single book.

How do you know they haven't check out books on a different day, or have plenty of books at home to read?

Honored Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

How do you know they haven't check out books on a different day, or have plenty of books at home to read?

I guess one needs to thoroughly explain the whole situation or someone like you will jump on their words. When one works in a library, they see these things and get to know their patrons.  It's really sad when little kids beg for books, and the parents are checking out movies for themselves and nothing for the tots.

Honored Contributor

As a child I was an avid book reader.  I probably have not read a book now in 30 plus years.  Do not know why. Just have no interest in reading a book. I love reading the paper, magazines....but not books.