Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Buy Your Books or Go To The Library?

since retiring I read 3-4 books weekly, strictly library. Brooklyn library is fabulous.

Honored Contributor

It's been a while, but I buy books.

Honored Contributor

Get mine at thrift stores

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I used to buy my books at Costco and Amazon until I realized how much money I was wasting.  I decided I could use that money for other things (plays, lunches and dinners out, shoes, etc).  I now use the library.  Order what books I want on line and when they are ready I pick them up.  I have made Wednesday my library day because I am downtown anyway that day and I just walk to the library.  

Honored Contributor

Most of mine I bought when they were dirt cheap on Book Bub, and down load them.  Occasionally I'll hear a book mentioned and will pay the full Kindle price.  With mobility issues, I just can't stand in a library looking for a book.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

• By the way I have NOT read all the kindle books I have bought! 
Honored Contributor

I was always terrible about returning library books - I just forget and then rack up fines, so I buy my books.

Now that I'm pretty much reading digital books exclusively, I may try the library again because it's much easier to return ebooks.

These days I only buy a paper book if I'm getting it signed and even then, I usually also buy a digital copy to read on my Kindle or listen to on Audible.

Respected Contributor

I go to the library.  There is a county library nearby and our city library has 3 branches.  Love that you can request books online, renew online, etc.  I also prefer large print books so I can search for those.  If there is a book I really want, I try to find a used copy in good condition. 

Esteemed Contributor

I live close to my Library, so that's where I go. I do buy a book at Barnes & Noble a few times a year though.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been almost exclusively e-books since 2010.  In the early days of e-readers libraries did not have an extensive collection, so I had to buy 98% of my books.  Times changed and about two years ago, the Chicago Public Library stepped up their game in the digital category.  They have done an excellent job of putting together and constantly adding to their catalog of digital titles (fiction and non-fiction).  To sum it up my percentage has reversed from five years ago and I now get about 98% of my digital titles from the library.