Esteemed Contributor

Re: Books with mind-blowing endings!

I see this thread pop up and I always think of a book - but can't remember the name!

Think it was an "it" book some years ago - maybe in Oprah's original book club. Looked it up - "Midwives" by Chris Bohjalian. If I'm remembering it correctly, that had a wow ending.

I'm happy with any ending that makes sense and isn't rushed, etc. One of my favorites remains "Water for Elephants". Doesn't really fit the OP's subject, but I love it all the same. 😀
Esteemed Contributor

K

@smoky22 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

Well, for me, any of Agatha Christie's book. The woman was brilliant. And Then There Were None comes to mind.

So true.  And how about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd!

@smoky22@Judaline, I have The Murder of Roger Akroyd so I am glad to see it made the list.  Going to check out And Then There Were None.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Bump

Trusted Contributor

I just finished David Rosenfelt's On  Borrowed  Time. It's an older one. Was really surprised and still trying to figure out why I didn't see it coming! Give it a try.

Honored Contributor

OMG, I don't know why I didn't think of this one off the bat.  It has one of the most mind-blowing endings ever.  It's an awesome book too. 

It's "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz.

There is a series that follow but none of them can touch that first, amazing book.  Run don't walk to try this, you may love it!  It's utterly unique and not at all like his usual straight horror novels of which I'm not a fan.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@rustee nice topic!  I am hardly ever surprised at endings.  But the book that had surprise twists and turns all the way through (for me ) was The Kind Worth Killing.  Loved that book.

I am reading that one now, I am halfway through it, it is good. Already something happened and I was like NO!!!!!!I can tell its going to be good....Will have to post once I have finished it! 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@rustee nice topic!  I am hardly ever surprised at endings.  But the book that had surprise twists and turns all the way through (for me ) was The Kind Worth Killing.  Loved that book.

I am reading that one now, I am halfway through it, it is good. Already something happened and I was like NO!!!!!!I can tell its going to be good....Will have to post once I have finished it! 

Thanks, @smoky22 and @CANDLEQUEEN

I just added KWK to a list I keep at my library's Internet site!

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@smoky22 I just looked up The Kind Worth Killing because it sounded good so I thought I'd read it.

Until...I realized I read it earlier this year, thanks to recommendations here on our board!

It was really good and yes it did have a great surprise ending!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

The Thirteenth Tale

Occasional Contributor

A Conflict of Interest by Adam Mitzner & The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson.  I loved them both.