Occasional Contributor

Re: Bookmarks for paper books, not the electronic ones.

I have gotten several really cute free ones from the library.  I have a laminator so I just run them through so they last longer.

Honored Contributor

A big paperclip - about 1 1/2 inches and it doesn't fall out of the book 

Valued Contributor

I do what another poster said - when I receive beautiful greeting cards, I use them as bookmarks.

This may sound a little morbid, but I also use the cards I receive at a funeral home when a family member or friend dies - they bring me comfort.   .

Honored Contributor

They sell them at Books a Million.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bella-luna wrote:

Most of the time,  I use a 3x5 index card because it works well, no matter the size of the book. I also have a packet of blank bookmarks, from when I used to do a little crafting and I enjoy using those, too (and when I get tired of reading, I can doodle or do Zentangle on them). Smiley Happy I do have some magnetic bookmarks and will usually use one to mark references/note sections at the end of the book for quick-viewing. 

@bella-luna, speaking of doodling, I have some pages of very colorful pictures, that I think I'll put in plastic, (laminate) and cut lengthwise to use in my books. Don't know what else Id use those pictures for!! Just looked up Zentangle. It's on the line of my coloring books, that I haven't used since last winter.

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I use the paper receipt that prints out after I use the self-serve checkout. 

@Catty2, so that's yours!!!! One is in a book I have right now. Not even from this state. LOL

Super Contributor

@qualitygal What a great idea! I don't have a laminate machine, but I have been wanting one! I have a couple "adult" coloring books that I haven't used in several months, either. Some of those pics are just too intricate for my old eyes - lol! That said, I actually have a Disney coloring book - as in a child's coloring book - that I like to color in! I know it sounds silly, but it's very relaxing! :-)
Respected Contributor

The long magnetic book markers.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bella-luna

bella-luna wrote:
...  I have a couple "adult" coloring books ...  that I like to color in! I know it sounds silly, but it's very relaxing! :-)

My "across-the-road neighbor," who has adult grandchildren, told me about ten years ago that she liked to color because she found it very relaxing.  Now the bookstores are filled with adult coloring books, and I think every time I see them that she was ahead of her time.  (I probably should ask her what new hobbies she has now!)  Recently I received two ready-to-color abstract bookmarks in my order from a used book store. Neat idea.

About my only store-bought bookmark is one of Dogbert (from the Dilbert strip) in his Bishop's mitre saying "Out, out, you demons of stupidity!"  I keep it taped to the frame of my computer monitor.....

My other favorite bookmark is a laminated one with a photograph of a group of brass ducklings following their mama.  It was tucked inside a book I bought at a library book sale.  It appears to be in the grounds of a park, but there's no legend on the back -- I'd like to know where the little grouping is. 

I was delighted to run across this thread -- I had wondered if other book-lovers were also bookmark lovers.  Thanks for starting this @qualitygal.

Frequent Contributor

I LOVE bookmarks!  I have a whole little box full of them since I was a kid.  Most have the little yarn tassel on the top. As a child of the 80s I have Holly Hobby ones, Garfield, even one with Mr T that says "I pity the fool who touches this book!"  I have ones I made in camp as a kid, and some of the cool 3-D motion ones they make now.  I also have some pretty cloissonne ones that fit and hang over the spine.  I also have some that were gifted to me, or belonged to loved ones who have passed away.  Yes, they occasionally fall out, but they make me smile!