Honored Contributor

@nomless. Thanks, I'll have to check them out. 

Trusted Contributor

ALL!!!! LOVE his books. He never disappoints. Wasn't crazy about Laura Lippman's latest book. Have read all her books, also. LOVE Faye Kellerman and Sue Grafton. ENJOYABLE ALL!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

As far as I'm concerned, Harlan Coben is interchangeable with Linwood Barclay. I've read several of both their books, and I honestly can't tell one author from another. They're both good.

I gave Fool me Once two stars out of five. I didn't much care for Mia, the main character. The plotline was kind of foolish and I knew exactly how it was going to end. I rated most of both their books with 2-3 stars out of five, which is average.

I think both of them wrote much better books early on in their careers. I'd like to read the Myron Bolitar books, as I heard they were really good.

I can add Lee Child to the same genre of books, although I have to admit that Lee Child is my favorite, especially his Jack Reacher books. I think I've read all of them.

So many books to read, so little time!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Harlan Coben is interchangeable with Linwood Barclay. I've read several of both their books, and I honestly can't tell one author from another. They're both good.

I gave Fool me Once two stars out of five. I didn't much care for Mia, the main character. The plotline was kind of foolish and I knew exactly how it was going to end. I rated most of both their books with 2-3 stars out of five, which is average.

I think both of them wrote much better books early on in their careers. I'd like to read the Myron Bolitar books, as I heard they were really good.

I can add Lee Child to the same genre of books, although I have to admit that Lee Child is my favorite, especially his Jack Reacher books. I think I've read all of them.

Isn't that the truth?   I've read the older ones.   I can't keep up with all the books I want to read.  I'm also a big fan of Jack Reacher.

Not as intense but I really liked Lauren Carr's Mac Faraday books.   All her series are crossovers.   You never know who's going to show up in them.   Very cheap on kindle as well.

More intense (and expensive) are Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Totally agree about Harlen Coben, though I have not read Linwood Barclay.  I still am baffled why Coben gave up his Myron series.  Lee Child is still one of my favorites, but since Tom Cruise stars as Reacher, I've become less a fan. How in the world could Child be pleased that Cruise plays tall, really tall, Reacher?  I refuse to see one of those movies!

i still like Michael Connelly's Bosch series. And, I love Louise Penny' Gamache series.  Can't wait for August 30th!

I recently read "The Survivor" by Robert Palmer.  I think it may become a series and I truly hope so.  Really great read.  Excellent book.

Esteemed Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

Totally agree about Harlen Coben, though I have not read Linwood Barclay.  I still am baffled why Coben gave up his Myron series.  Lee Child is still one of my favorites, but since Tom Cruise stars as Reacher, I've become less a fan. How in the world could Child be pleased that Cruise plays tall, really tall, Reacher?  I refuse to see one of those movies!

i still like Michael Connelly's Bosch series. And, I love Louise Penny' Gamache series.  Can't wait for August 30th!

I recently read "The Survivor" by Robert Palmer.  I think it may become a series and I truly hope so.  Really great read.  Excellent book.

@sassenach1 I was not happy when I heard that Tom Cruise was going to play Jack Reacher either. What a ridiculous idea to have a short little man portraying a giant! I don't believe that Lee Child was very happy about the casting, but he had to say he was. Hey let's not forget he got paid big bucks for the movie so I'd be happy about that too!

I "met" Bosch today in The Brass Verdict, the second Lincoln Lawyer book I'm reading. Bosch apparently has a very small but important part in the book. I am looking forward to finding out what he has to do with Mickey Haller (the lawyer and main character). I have an idea what it is but I'll have to keep reading to find out.

I think I've read a few Palmer books, but can't remember which one. After a while they all seem the same. That's why I have to read other types of books in between all the mysteries to break up the monotony.

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@sassenach1 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@sassenach1 I was not happy when I heard that Tom Cruise was going to play Jack Reacher either. What a ridiculous idea to have a short little man portraying a giant! I don't believe that Lee Child was very happy about the casting, but he had to say he was. Hey let's not forget he got paid big bucks for the movie so I'd be happy about that too!

I "met" Bosch today in The Brass Verdict, the second Lincoln Lawyer book I'm reading. Bosch apparently has a very small but important part in the book. I am looking forward to finding out what he has to do with Mickey Haller (the lawyer and main character). I have an idea what it is but I'll have to keep reading to find out.

I think I've read a few Palmer books, but can't remember which one. After a while they all seem the same. That's why I have to read other types of books in between all the mysteries to break up the monotony.

Happy reading!

I recommend starting with the first Bosch book and get to know the character.  Mickey Haller is not at all like Bosch.  

Same with Myron Bolitar.  The Bolitar books are very well done and often made me laugh out loud.  

Totally feel the same way about Reacher!

Favorite books ever:  the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  I am a big fan, as you can see by my nick.  Rich in characterization, research and writing style, these books have everything: family, love, war, travel, medicine, history, intrigue with a bit of time travel thrown in.  They do not have a true genre. Gabaldon is a master.

Happy Reading to you!

Honored Contributor

Very much. I have probably  read them all.

Regular Contributor

I have read most of his bookd & agree they are page turners! I also read one by Linwood Barclay called " The tap on the window" & was also a good read!

Valued Contributor

I have not read much fiction the last few years but read The Stranger recently by Coben and liked it well enough to seek out other books by him. His writing is really good, a bit formulaic and very with very stereotyped characters but I found myself liking where the story was leading despite that fact. The end where he seems to rush the resolution seemed rather forced after all the lead in.