Honored Contributor

I recently started reading Rouge Lawyer, which I'm really enjoying.   The only other Grisham book I've read was The Firm.

Someone (I forget who) once told me they are basically all the same .... legal cases and redundant, at that.

Have you read several of his books?   Are they all basically the same?   TIA!!!

Frequent Contributor

I used to read everything John Grisham wrote, but they did become redundant. My favorite of his books is A Time to Kill.  The book is so much better than the movie.  

Valued Contributor

Re: ANY JOHN GRISHAM FANS?

[ Edited ]

I've read most of Grisham's books.  A Time to Kill was his first book and one of the very best.  The Firm, too.  A Painted House was a big departure from his usual genre, one well worth reading.  He probably has contracted for a number of books in a certain style.

He is actually a very good writer.  His Ford County series shows the depth of his talent.  Grisham, Greg Iles and Pat Conroy are the gifted Southern writers of this time.  

Valued Contributor

I posted before I finished .  There are several of Grisham's books that I would not recommend, only those I mentioned.

Honored Contributor

He wrote a book different from his usual, called "Calico Joe". Baseball themed. I like it.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I recently started reading Rouge Lawyer, which I'm really enjoying.   The only other Grisham book I've read was The Firm.

Someone (I forget who) once told me they are basically all the same .... legal cases and redundant, at that.

Have you read several of his books?   Are they all basically the same?   TIA!!!

I love John Grisham.  No, imo, the books are not all the same!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

In his early days, I loved his books.  Now I don't read him at all.  His books are like a formula.. Small people against big business, David and Goliath etc etc.  

I put him in the same category now as James Patterson.  Used to love Patterson's books as well.  Don't touch them now.  His name is in big print and the co author (who I am assuming is the real author) follows in very small print.  Very formula like, very predictable, very boring.  

Too many good books out there to be doing the same thing over and over.  LM

Honored Contributor

I've ready several of his books and The Street Lawyer and The Client which was made into an excellent movie with Susan Sarandon are my favorites.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

I'm a huge John Grisham fan, and I probably always will be unless he starts to write total garbage. I've enjoyed every book of his I've read. I think I skipped a few but I've read all the others. Some of course have been better than others but none of them were bad.

I loved the book where he went against the big tobacco company (I can't remember the title). It may have been one of the first books of his I read. I loved the main character and his investigator. They may all be somewhat similar but that's great because those are the types of books I really enjoy reading. Legal thrillers are one of my favorite genres. I'm now involved in the Mickey Haller series, and the Harry Bosch series, both by Michael Connelly. Love them!

Do you all think he has a writing partner yet? I haven't seen or heard anything to that effect, but you never know.

I did love The Painted House, which was a totally different genre.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

The Firm was one of my favorite books!  I also loved the movie.  That book totally held my attention and I couldn't read it fast enough!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"