Honored Contributor

A new Harry Potter book is coming on July 31st!

JK Rowling has written a play about Harry Potter and then adapted that into a book. The play will open in London on July 30th and the book will be released the next day. Apparently the book/play involves Harry's son Albus and issues he's having as the child of famous parents. 

By the way, if you don't have the Harry Potter series on your Kindles, Amazon has all seven books available in one package for $14.99.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: A new Harry Potter book is coming on July 31st!

Well, this is information I can use!

I was excited about the Strike series (till book 3), so going back to Harry for a while will hopefully appease my disappointment.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman, I'm confused.

First I read it was a book and I was all yay!!!!

Then I read it (and its successor) will contain the script of the stage play, which is in two parts.  And then I was all boooo! because I don't enjoy reading plays (exception for Shakespeare).

Do you know which it is, yay or boo?

Honored Contributor

Lori. I'm as confused as you are. I first heard it was a book based on the play, then that it was simply the script of the play, so I'm not sure which it'll be. The first word was that she liked the script and decided to adapt it into a book, which is pretty darn easy to do since the dialogue is already there. Then I read that it's just the script of the play. We'll find out later which it is. From a writer's standpoint though, converting a play into a novel wouldn't be hard. You've got the dialogue and you know what the sets look like, so converting that into a novel would be child's play.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Lori. I'm as confused as you are. I first heard it was a book based on the play, then that it was simply the script of the play, so I'm not sure which it'll be. The first word was that she liked the script and decided to adapt it into a book, which is pretty darn easy to do since the dialogue is already there. Then I read that it's just the script of the play. We'll find out later which it is. From a writer's standpoint though, converting a play into a novel wouldn't be hard. You've got the dialogue and you know what the sets look like, so converting that into a novel would be child's play.

@gardenman@LoriLori I just heard on Sirius XM radio that the script will be released first. Later in the year it will be released in book form.

Honored Contributor

@skyblue, thanks for clearing that up!  

I wish I could see the play.  I think it takes place nineteen years after "Deathly Hallows."  Hard to imagine Harry as just an employee of the Ministry of Magic.

Honored Contributor

Wow! The complete collection of Hary Potter books on Kindle went from $14.99 when I bought them to over $56 now. I'm glad I bought it when I did.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

They finally came out with the books on Audiobooks as well. For the longest time, they were only available on Pottermore or somewhere else. At first I didn't like the narrator but as the series continued, I really got to appreciate Jim Dale's performance. His ability to do recognizable voices for each character is nothing short of amazing.

Contributor

Big Harry Potter fan thanks for the update please send a reminder!

Super Contributor

July 31, eh ??  A prolific date to be sure !!!!!  Happy B-day to Harry and JKR !!!!

I have read, re-read and read again the series. I always find something new and even have a couple of quotes in my inspiration book.

I love the Cormoran Strike books also-----what a rich character, so flawed and the story lines are intelligent. I find the books hard to put down. Cannot wait for a mini-series of the Strike series. "Casual Vacancy" was done and done very well I thought.