Contributor

shellac manicures- your thoughts please

[ Edited ]

I am considering getting a shellac manicure. I love the look of polished nails, but am finding the smell of polish gives me a bad headache. Please share with me what your experience has been. TIA!!

Super Contributor

Re: shellac manicures- your thoughts please

I love them.  I started getting them before I'd go on vacation so my nails would look good for two weeks.

I loved having chip-free nails for two weeks so now I get them much more frequently.

I do hate that you need to keep acetone on your nails for a few minutes to get it off, as acetone can be drying, but I've noticed better nail salons handle it with care rather than dumping the acetone on a cotton pad that leaks down my hand.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had them and they didn't seem to be as durable as artificial nails.  I stopped because the removal process was so bad.

Super Contributor

I, too, love the look, plus the durability.

Last summer I came up with the bright idea to have shellac pedicures......lasts SO well!!!

Well, the first of November, I decided to let air get to my nails and not get any polish at all. Ugh, when I left for home, I noticed how bad my big toe nails looked. It had to be the shellac. I'm spending all winter letting them hopefully get back to normal before I resume REGULAR polish pedicures come spring.  I'd do the shellac maybe one time a summer, but no more. That was my experience.

Frequent Contributor

Totally agree--that was my experience as well.  Loved how they looked, and lasted, --but underneath, when the polish was removed--YIKES!  My nails were so thin they actually hurt.  Spent 3 months trying to restore them, with the help of hair/nails vitamins.

Only regular manis  for me now!  My pedis last just fine (4 weeks+ ) with regular polish.

Occasional Contributor

I am a fan of shellac manicures as a treat every now and then.  I do not think they are good for long term manicures.  I have worn mine for about three weeks at a times and my nails will stay shiny and actually grow out some.  However, if you get an inexperienced manicurist, your nails could be damaged.  Soaking off in acetone is not fun and there is always acrycilic residue left even after they sand it off with their drills.   My nails are now weak and recovering from my last go around.  Yes, I will get them again for vacation or a special occasion.  But, I will not have them taken off and re-applied back to back.  I think nails need a break.  I also find the glitter colors are the hardest to remove. 

Respected Contributor

I feel the same way as the others about the shellac manicures.  In the long run, I would rather take good care of my healthy nails than go the artificial route.

Super Contributor

the shellac manicures I've had have actually made my nails better. It gives them a chance to grow without breaking for 2 weeks. I've had absolutely no problem with them harming my nails. Of course, I only do them occassionally.......and never more than 2 times in a row. I do hate the removal process....but it's worth it not to have to worry about my nails chipping for special occasions. 

Valued Contributor

I am a licensed nail tech for many years. I still do my own nails and for friends in my home salon. I favor shellac manicures, regular polish is chipped within days. I get 2 weeks chip free and no nail damage with shellac.

You should never allow any nail tech to use a drill or nail file on your nails to remove shellac, it's not necessary! 5 minutes with an acetone soaked foil pad directly on nail and remove with an orange wood stick only! If there are small bits left they should remove easily with an acetone soaked pad.

The first and major shellac company recently came out with a 5 minute removal top coat which makes the process even quicker. Only go to salons that use name brand, top of the line products and no drills! I can't tell you the number of ladies who have come to me through the years with nails damaged by drills, it's heartbreaking.. Ask if the tech is certified in shellac, if they were they would know how to give a shellac service with no damage! My nails are really much longer and healthier with shellac.

It's the improper removal technique that is causing the damage not shellac.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Contributor

Thanks for your replies. Debzzz, do you keep shellac on your nails most of the time?