Honored Contributor

"Storing" Lip Gloss for Long Term

I've been the victim of a favorite discontinued make-up item...haven't we all!  I'm currently buying up all the Chanel lip "glossimer" in my favorite color that I can find.  Is there a storage method that will preserve the lip gloss for 3-5 years or longer depending on how many I can find?  Like tightly wrapped and in the fridge?  I have two, one on the way and one more I can buy.  Just lost an ebay bid by 50 cents Smiley Sad  I don't want to buy more than will last if there is nothing I can do to keep it from drying out.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: "Storing" Lip Gloss for Long Term

I wouldn't do that, over time, composition of the products which make up that lip gloss will break down.  

If you freeze or refrigerate, you are already changing the chemical composition.

I would buy enough for 2 years and by then, a new formula or someone else will have a product you will like and all that is stored will be tossed.

Who knows how long someone already had the product that is advertised on E-Bay, that's another question.

I did that for some Adriene products from HSN, she's always changing products and/or packaging, bought some from E-Bay that I just couldn't live without and it's in the garbage, trashed it. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's a good question -- how to store lipsticks, lip glosses and lip balms so that they don't go rancid. I have bought some discontinued L'Oreal Glossy Balm chubby lip crayons and L'Oreal nude and pop balm lipsticks as they are sheer and have a natural color in the shades I bought. I'm not sure what else to do except store them in a container downstairs where they won't be exposed to heat.

Trusted Contributor

What color is it as I have one that is in the peach side golden peach and I love it.  Just wondering which one they are discontinued...........thank you and call chanel they will let you know how to take care of it.

Trusted Contributor

Check with Barney's New York in Beverly Hills, I found a Chanel that was discontinued there one year,

Honored Contributor

The color is Daydream #174 (Chanel Levres Scintillantes Glossimers).  The entire line has been discontinued Smiley Sad  The replacement line is Rouge Coco Lipgloss.  As fixated as I've been with this one color, I was going to look at the other colors too and now they're ALL gone...except for what you can find on ebay.  Here is a really good Youtube video that was just made last month.  Talking about the discontinuation of the Glossimers and showing the new Rouge Coco.  When I went to my local Dillard's last week to buy Daydream, the MA had a paper that told the customer the best NEW color for their old color.  Daydream wasn't even listed Smiley Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQw-M2nx8S4&feature=youtu.be

Here is the Daydream Color.  I have two more on the way Smiley Happy  I was hoping wrapping them really well and tightly and stroring them in the fridge would help them last longer.

PSX_20170315_012824 (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

Thanks.  I will call around.  I don't know how long the Glossimers have been discontinued tho but it's worth a try.  I have two now and two more on the way...one is coming from Serbia! Smiley Surprised  Hey, I was desperate! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I would just keep it unopened in a cool dry dark place. Until you open it keep it away from light and big temperature changes. I think you could for sure get at least 3 yrs without opening. I would not put it in the fridge or freeze it though because changes in temp and humidity would affect it the most. 

I would start googling for a dupe. You may not get an exact match but there are so many sites dedicated to finding pretty darn close matches.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here you go @monicakm, Temptalia has some dupes for daydream. They aren't dead on but you can do a comparison. This one isn't bad actually. At the bottom of the page, there are dupes for Daydream with other brands and you can click on comparison to see some more.

http://www.temptalia.com/dupe-comparison/mac-kinky-vs-chanel-daydream/?inverted=1

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Irshgrl, I have walked around with this gloss for YEARS looking for a less expensive dup!  I swear, Chanel had a patent on the color!  There were some semi-close contenders.  I've checked out everything Sephora had (and actually bought one in the Buxom line but again, it wasn't really close enough).  Checked in all the dept stores, WM and Target. 

I just got off the phone with Chanel and asked if the old stock that the stores have to send back to Chanel can be bought.  She said no Smiley Sad  But, she did check to see if any of he Chanel stores had any available...they don't Smiley Sad  She said Daydream was one of the older colors in the Glossimer line and had been discontinued before the entire line was.