Respected Contributor

Re: "Home*made" *Pedicure*

[ Edited ]

I use the Aplha on my feet, but I still get calluses and dry skin.  I use a rough paddle type buffer while my feet are dry, and that works great, then shower and go ahead with the pedicure.  I've tried many creams made just for feet, said to keep the dryness and calluses away, but nothing works for me.  So I do pedicures every 2-3 weeks...im so much work 🙄.  After trying many many foot creams, I find O'Keefe foot cream in the jar the very best. That's one that really keeps them super soft...however it does not eliminate calluses or cuticles.  I also use a little nail brush under my toenails in the shower to keep any build up away.  I keep them short, I find that's the best way to avoid build up or thickening.  I also found a great tool from Flowery, a dual edge with little ridges to get under the toenails to clean out anything left behind...sometimes soap, or creams get caught.  Such a great tool.  Some use it to file out ingrown nails, I don't have that but the tool has one end slightly curved, so you can get under the corners if you want.   I like getting my pedicures at a salon here, but only with this one guy...hes sooooo meticulous and does an amazing job, including the massage, lotion, scrubs, and hot towel wrap... i like doing my own too (well kind of ) i get into every nook and cranny.....alot of work and takes me long 😑

Honored Contributor

I use O'Keefes too, but in a pinch--good ole vaseline does a good job too!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The little tool from Flowery sounds like an ingrown toenail file (lifter). They are excellent for cleaning out from under nails.

They also make cleaners just for that. The first pic is a Tweezerman ingrown nail file (lifter) that's sold here. They make a Pushy that can be used as well.

The second pic is an ingrown toenail lifter with the under nail cleaner. 

Screenshot_20230213-090516_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230213-091249_eBay.jpg

Valued Contributor

They sell these foot knives for callus removal. There's several to choose from depending on your needs. 

Screenshot_20230213-092727_eBay.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use these on my feet. The foot file (Ulta $13) is not a cheese grater but a diamond file with coarse and fine sides to it plus there's a smaller file hidden inside the handle which is made out of a grippy material so it doesn't slip out of your hands. File is big, 8-inches in length and the angled head is 2-inches wide. Works like nothing else and gets stuff left behind by my Emjoi rotating pedi tool. 

Use the foot file on dry feet for best results.

When I'm done using the file I apply Alpha Skin Care body lotion on my feet and everything is so smooth for weeks.

ETA- 

Read the reviews over on Ulta dot com. That's why I bought this file.

Earth Therapeutics Diamond File

Earth Therapeutics Precisso Pedicure File | Pedicures | Beauty & Health |  Shop The Exchange

Alpha Skin Care Renewal Body Lotion – thebeautyespacio

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beauties

Who'd have figured my puny little "Homemade Pedicure" thread would gather sooo many great ideas, tips & tricks, tools, and lotions for the Best of "homemade Pedicures."

I should have known y'all @Beauties would have so many good ideas!

But also, THANKS for taking the time, & sharing your great ideas, products with us also!

I'm now "on the hunt!"   (for the above!)  heh  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl  like you I scrub and smooth my feet and trim my nails and excess skin, but can't do polish!  I agree with @LindaSal that I do a better job at home than at the salon.  I guess because we can feel better how it's going, and there is less of a chance of injury.  

I do go get my toe nails polished at the salon in the warm months, but my fingernails polish just does not last.  I tried the gel, and my nails can't handle it.  They are just too prone to breakage.

On my feet, like @SilleeMee, I use gritty files.  Also cuticle pushers and trimmers. Thankfully, I have no calluses, but do have very dry skin.  

I hadn’t tried the Alpha lotion, but I am using it now.  I had bought it earlier because of previous recommendations, it must be a forum favorite.  I had opened it a while back but didn't use it til yesterday.  It felt thicker than I expected, is that how it is supposed to be?  (@San Antonio Gal @SilleeMee?) My feet definitely better today, though I don't think I filed as much dead skin as I should have, i was only willing to spend so much time on that.  I will just be sure not to wait as long to do them the next time, and take care of them better.

The one new thing I tried and highly recommend was not just for my feet, but my whole body, including face.  I normally use a natural bristle brush in the shower, but Amazon recommended to me these Dermasuri Deep Exfoliation scrubbers and wow!  I left half of me in the shower.  I regularly use glycolic washes and I wouldn't have thought I had that much skin to shed.

I highly recommend these!  It got me started on my feet.  (I also used in the rest of my body.). The instructions are to get wet first, wet the exfoliators (they are like thin sponges), do not apply soap and scrub away.  Great results.  It was good everywhere but particularly for around the toes, where tools can't get but fingers can, and the bottom of my feet because I am ticklish. I did use files for the dry foot skin after that, but no real need for cuticle pushing.  I think I could have gotten more dead skin off with the exfoliator in the shower before I tired of being there and stopped.

For my feet, I have also bought some of those masks that supposedly peel the dead skin, but have never actually used them because the instructions suggest they entail a multiday process, and I don't know that I want to deal with peeling feet for a week or more.  Does anyone have insight on these?

Yes @MakeUpMaidn, a good chat!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee , I'll look into that next time at Ulta.

I currently use a course paddle type ...think it's called the Holy foot file (lol)...its curved and ,dual sided, and has holes in it.  It's wearing out, so ill need a replacement. 

Respected Contributor

@SnowOwl79 , the Flowery tool I have, looks similar. It has little ridged/grooves...you file the nail, or use it underneath.  Great tool

Valued Contributor

@Dazlin, yes, that's it. It's called an ingrown toenail file but I call it a lifter. It does both.

I used to have ingrowns on the outer side of both big toes. I had them removed but still use the tool on the other side and other toes and haven't had any trouble since. It's a great tool.