Respected Contributor

"Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

A beauty youtuber who is in her 40s said this in a video the other day.  She said that older women (like her) should wear brown, not black eyeliner because black is too harsh.  She got a lot of negative feedback for saying that.  

What do you all think?

Regular Contributor

Re: "Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

I feel like black liner makes my green eyes pop and will continue to use it no matter how old I am as long as I think it looks good. 

Trusted Contributor

Depends how they put it on. I don't agree that statement goes for everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

I've never liked black eye liner on myself, even when I was younger.  I'm fair-skinned and felt it was too harsh for me.  I do use black when lining my upper rim and the blacker the better for that.  I don't line my lower rim at all.  I think it depends on the person and their skintone and what they like to wear and are comfortable wearing.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Black liner can look harsh on any one in my opinion depending on the application. You don't have to be older for that to happen. I use black liner somtimes depending on what I am wearing and the other makeup I am wearing. It is not an absolute one way or the other for me.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

The way eyeliner is applied has more to do with it looking harsh (or not) than color or age.

Honored Contributor

Well, I'm 56 so I don't think 40 is "older".   And I think it's just a matter of personal opinion.  My personal opinion for myself is that eyeliner makes my eyes look smaller and it gives me harsh or mean look so I don't wear eyeliner.  I stopped wearing it about 10 years ago.   I don't care if other women wear it and don't care if they wear black, brown or sky blue.  None of my business.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

A beauty youtuber who is in her 40s said this in a video the other day.  She said that older women (like her) should wear brown, not black eyeliner because black is too harsh.  She got a lot of negative feedback for saying that.  

What do you all think?

@Mellie32

Age 40 is now considered "older" ?     Seriously?   

Esteemed Contributor

What I do with my face is nobody's business but my own, period.

Honored Contributor

I think it is different from person to person.

To me black liner makes my eyes look small, so I don't use it, also I am very fair.

Everyone can look in a mirror and make a choice about what they like best.

If you have questions as to which looks best on you, you can always try one color on one eye and different color on the other eye.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras