Honored Contributor

question for beauty PROS & Experts re: hair color

[ Edited ]

I know that hair color (at-home or salon) thankfully gives fine and/or thinning hair extra body.

I also know a lot about demi, semi, & permanent har dye.

And to mix two colors together (from the same color range) to get the most natural look.

But what I was wondering is:

Does each type of color (permanent, semi-perm, & demi-perm) give the same amount of body to your hair?

TIA for all helpful replies.

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: question for beauty PROS & Experts re: hair color

No, the dyes differ and so do the formulae, but in general, it makes the hair strand thicker. 

I noticed my home hair dye makes my hair feel more "plasticky" than the salon dye. After I wash and condition with a box of home dye, the hair doesn't feel as soft as it does in the salon. I did notice a HUGE difference in brands.

I tried John Frieda Precision Foam and was very pleased with the result. (They had a color selector on their site that was helpful. I need an ashy tone as I have no red in my dark hair.)

I also tried Garnier Olia. The hair felt awful afterwards--like it was coated in Saran Wrap (if you can imagine)--kinda crunchy and sticky. This washed out eventually but I didn't like the applicator (a ridiculous hard-to-hold round bottle to look like an oil drop, cute but stupidly designed.)

I went back to John Frieda and noticed an improvement, both in intensity of color and feel of the hair. Good volume afterwards. 

Honored Contributor

The main reason I continue to color my hair is to add body and I feel I get  more body from a good professional dye than from a box at home.  I am at least 99% gray so I really need good color, too; I prefer Goldwell, but that's harder to find than some others and also tends to cost a few dollars more. 

And I do think when I had more of my own color, other brands also worked well for me, but I've had my color professionally done for years and years - could probably be driving a Mercedes considering what I've spent, but there's no contest about my preference.

Honored Contributor

I get my Goldwell from Sleek Hair dot com.  Brighton Beauty also sells it, but they made me mad when they didn't let me know that one of the items in my order was backordered and they wouldn't ship partial orders.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty?

@Cakers?

@Irshgrl31201?

& others w/ professional salon experience?

Hoping you also see my question...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

No, the dyes differ and so do the formulae, but in general, it makes the hair strand thicker. 

I noticed my home hair dye makes my hair feel more "plasticky" than the salon dye. After I wash and condition with a box of home dye, the hair doesn't feel as soft as it does in the salon. I did notice a HUGE difference in brands.

I tried John Frieda Precision Foam and was very pleased with the result. (They had a color selector on their site that was helpful. I need an ashy tone as I have no red in my dark hair.)

I also tried Garnier Olia. The hair felt awful afterwards--like it was coated in Saran Wrap (if you can imagine)--kinda crunchy and sticky. This washed out eventually but I didn't like the applicator (a ridiculous hard-to-hold round bottle to look like an oil drop, cute but stupidly designed.)

I went back to John Frieda and noticed an improvement, both in intensity of color and feel of the hair. Good volume afterwards. 

Thanks, Campion.  8)

Luckily, my hair feels soft whether it's DIY or salon color, but I agree that brands and specific products differ in results.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

The main reason I continue to color my hair is to add body and I feel I get  more body from a good professional dye than from a box at home.  I am at least 99% gray so I really need good color, too; I prefer Goldwell, but that's harder to find than some others and also tends to cost a few dollars more. 

And I do think when I had more of my own color, other brands also worked well for me, but I've had my color professionally done for years and years - could probably be driving a Mercedes considering what I've spent, but there's no contest about my preference.

Thanks, millieshops.  8)

You're referring to permanent color since you're 99+% gray, right?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy

All hair tint..whether semi, demi or permanent can give the hair more shine and body .  At least through a few washings.  The reason is, most hair color, if done properly, and NOT over processed,opens, then closes and coats the cuticle of the hair shaft. Tint also fills the second layer of the hair to deposit color.  This can give a fuller look. When the cuticle is closed or coated the hair reflects more light, and seems to have more body, especially gray hair.  Gray hair has lost the color molecules in the shaft of the hair.  Color molecules are all different shades (except those with black hair).  That is why some natural hair when we are younger (or not gray), seems high lighted or a mixture of shades.. Gray hair also tends to be finer and frizzier, and more resistant.  Tint deposits color (although it doesn't hold as long as non gray hair_)  This will add body.

The above reason is why some people who like the color of hair, or want more shine add or soley use a clear cellophane to their hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy my hair color from a professional wherehouse that caters to professionals. However some hair colors are available through an agent.  They require a large purchase.   A tube of Goldwell or Schwartzkopf costs under 10 bucks.  Goldwell has lost favor with many salons because of stability and other issues.

Box colors are the same tints used by professionals EXCEPT the developer is a little different. The tint is not weaker, but they do use a special conditioned developer that reacts different that regular peroxide.  I used to throw the developer away, and add my own, but I knew what I was doing.  It grabbed better.  it is NOT as conditioning, but it grabs better, IMO.  But I wouldn't advise anyone to this unless they have okayed it with a professional. Also box color is not as selective and vast as salon colors because box mixes cannot cover so many shades.  Box colors are not as easy to mix shades.  I have done it a few years ago, but now they are are more exclusive.  Many boxed sets actually say, "do not mix shades".  Box sets also have a shorter timer, and the instructions are not as specific for certain problems. But a box color can be just as good as a professional tint, if applied right.  Salons have the option of mixing shades to get a more personal color.  I love that!  They also do it for you, and no mess to clean up!  Box colors are great for those who do not want to spend the $, or cannot, or do not want to spend the couple hours away from home.  I do my own with a professional tint, but I did use a box color for years until it was discontinued.  I hate traveling 2 hours to a salon, it is a days time!  I hate being in that chair!  I have flash backs to my years of teaching when I let students experiment on me, and from platfoem work that was so confining.  I HATE doing my hair though. I hate it.

What I have noticed id the last 3 years the color selection is not as good as it once was for box color!  Clairol  has discontinued more than half their colors, and dropped many products.  This is because of the outcry from professionals working in the industry.  Also some colors don't move as well.  However, one drug store may sell a color they don't have at the same drug store accross town.  Colors and brands are specific to the demographic of the surrounding area.  I didn't know that, until I talked to Clairol 2 years ago.  Also, drug store sales are down for box colors because of online outlets and Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

Hey Feline Groovy! Yes, color does make hair a little thicker because you are opening up the cuticle of the hair (with the developer) to deposit the color. Once you do that, your cutcile never closes to the point it was before you colored it and with virgin hair so that adds to the circumference of the individual hair. I would say that permanent hair color would give you the most body simply because you are using a stronger developer with permanent and that is opening up the cuticle of hair the most, but I really do think that the difference is negligible.

Are you coloring your hair to change the color or cover grays exclusively or just to add some body?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK