Frequent Contributor

on october 21st  I ordered my grandaughter a pair of Emma Bearpaw boots from Amazon and paid $21.99. I showed them to my best friend when she went to order a pair today they are up to $50.35 a pair in less than a month! are stores marking up just to mark down for black friday or are things really going up that fast? I had the same experience with my jog pants (different) store I have worn Nike's dri fit 2.0 legend pants for years and never paid mire than fifty bucks I needed a new pair and located several stores at $78.00 a pair. good grief Charlie Brown. I feel sorry for young parents that still have to buy school clothes for  kids. I don't know how they do it.

Esteemed Contributor

There are many retailers who sell on Amazon and they set their own prices depending on the popularity of the item and the supply available.  There is a good chance that the two pairs of boots were sent by completely different retailers to sell through Amazon.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Did you check to see if it was from the same seller? Amazon frequently has the same item sold by many different sellers at various prices, so even with the Amazon site you have to do price comparison. 

Amazon pricing is extremely sensitive to customer demand. Prices go up and down frequently. Prices can also be higher or lower for the same item based on color. (The black will be $10 more than the blue item or the green will be $15 less than any other color, etc.)

Esteemed Contributor

I find that pricing is all over the place with Amazon. It's one reason that I don't trust them very much and only buy books or DVDs. If you think Amazon pricing is crazy, you should look at the Canadian one because Amazon.ca has some outrageous pricing for items like clothing and shoes and I can't imagine ever buying those things from them since legitimate bricks and mortar stores with a website have much better deals.

Honored Contributor

Amazon changes their prices up and down all the time and not just items they are selling for other vendors. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I saw a pair of boots at Amazon that I wanted. They were $112.00 on Amazon with free shipping. Looked at Nordstrom and they were $79.00 with free shipping and free return. Nordstrom is price matching. 

Respected Contributor

You are so right. Amazon prices go up and down a lot. I went to buy something today and the price in my wish list went up $20 from last week. I didn't buy it. I try now to buy it right away if the price is good. I also compare prices on other websites. Sometimes I am able to get a much better deal elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

There is a website called camelcamelcamel that can let you know the pricing trends on Amazon over a period of time.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

There is a website called camelcamelcamel that can let you know the pricing trends on Amazon over a period of time.

Interesting, thanks!

i tend to put items I'm thinking about on my wish lsit and do a 'wait & see' - I've got some amazing deals that way. Many sellers probably price items based on inventory, wahtever the reason  I'm happy to recoup the deals! Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Yep, Amazon prices change ALL the time. I have lots of things that I've put in my cart, than "saved for later" so I can monitor the prices. Over time I get an idea of the normal price range and can purchase when the price is low at a time when I can fit it into my budger. Many changes are small...a dollar or two, somethimes even a penny. But I've also seen items change by 40-50% or more.