Regular Contributor

Re: o.k. My Hair is Starting To Look Too Greasy! What Happened?

On 1/8/2015 Royal Family said: I've been a WEN girl for 2 years and have never felt like I need to use a regular shampoo every so often. In fact I get my hair colored and trimmed every 8 weeks like clockwork and my hairdresser uses a sulfate-free shampoo. My hair feels dry and yucky afterwards so I come home and do a re-moist treatment and it feels much better!

Royal Family,

Take your WEN to the salon and have them cleanse your hair with WEN. I do that now because what my stylist used made my head itchy and now NOTHING but WEN touches my head! I've been a WEN girl for almost 3 years now. I, too, get my hair colored and trimmed every 8 weeks and my stylist is amazed at how good my color looks........too bad she doesn't actually believe it's because I only let WEN touch my head, but that's ok, I know! Smile

Contributor

I find the seasonals more moisturizing so maybe try a little less. I always wash once every two wks with a regular shampoo just to remove yucky buildup. If the WEN starts weighting my fine hair down that's when I do it. Or, I will go the opposite and do a deep condition by sleeping in the CC with a turby. I don't use the remoist too heavy for my hair.
Contributor

On 1/23/2015 terrier3 said:
On 1/23/2015 MalteseMomma said:

Mine is getting greasy too after all these years of Wenning, something has happened .Either it is my ageing hair or the Wen,I do not know.

My stylist owns an Aveda salon but is cool about WEN and thinks my hair is in fantastic condition.

She told me though, that she can "smell" the scalps of women who use WEN exclusively. There is a build up...not really stinky, but not pleasant either - kind of "musky". I scraped my scalp and she was right!

She also said that she has used conditioner only on many clients who are getting washed out after coloring...she said that cleansing conditioners have been around since she started in the 70s.

Now that I clarify with shampoo when necessary - usually every month - more in the summer - I don't get the "greasies" any more.

My hair dresses says the same thing... I can't smell it
Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 XxMoniquexx said:

Mine is getting greasy too after all these years of Wenning, something has happened .Either it is my ageing hair or the Wen,I do not know.

My stylist owns an Aveda salon but is cool about WEN and thinks my hair is in fantastic condition.

She told me though, that she can "smell" the scalps of women who use WEN exclusively. There is a build up...not really stinky, but not pleasant either - kind of "musky". I scraped my scalp and she was right!

She also said that she has used conditioner only on many clients who are getting washed out after coloring...she said that cleansing conditioners have been around since she started in the 70s.

Now that I clarify with shampoo when necessary - usually every month - more in the summer - I don't get the "greasies" any more.

My hair dresses says the same thing... I can't smell it

I couldn't smell it either - until I used a wood cuticle scraper and removed some of the build up.

Yup - it smells funky!

Esteemed Contributor

I used to do that when I first began using WEN yrs ago but stopped. I was thinking of doing it again and I will.................lol Thabks

Trusted Contributor

Maybe it needs a good shampooing.

Regular Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Royal Family said: I've been a WEN girl for 2 years and have never felt like I need to use a regular shampoo every so often. In fact I get my hair colored and trimmed every 8 weeks like clockwork and my hairdresser uses a sulfate-free shampoo. My hair feels dry and yucky afterwards so I come home and do a re-moist treatment and it feels much better!

Hi. Why not bring your Wen to the salon? I do that and my stylist actually looks forward to seeing which formulation I have with me. I bring the styling cream and the oil too. I use the oil as a finishing product after my hair is dry and styled. I'm sure you stylist would rather have a happy client than one who is not happy with the condition of her hair after leaving the salon.

Contributor

Is it possible that the shelf life for your WEN product(s) in question has passed; if yes, it may have affected the quality of the product, giving you different results.

When I first started using WEN products, I believe that I was told that the shelf life for the CCs was around 2 years.

Contact the studio, with the numbers/codes stamped on the bottle, they will gladly assist  .

Honored Contributor

Start using a dry shampoo once a week or more.  Stila had a couple of scents on sale and it is an excellent product with wonderful scents.  Or, rinse your hair in apple cider vinegar and warm water.  It sounds like you have major build up.  Wen is just like a conditioner and eventually your hair will be flat if you don't remove the build up.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovessister2 wrote:
On 1/7/2015 sjk73 said:

I find that my scalp and hair must be completely creamed up and I need to cleanse rinse and repeat because my scalp is extremely oily. My hair is very long so I MUST use 24 pumps for each cleanse. I know that's a lot but without doing that my hair will not get clean. Also, too much leave in may not be good. How long is your hair and what kind of texture? Mine is fine so from it being very short to shoulder length I only needed a pea size of leave in and one pump of styling creme. I find that the mousse is good for shine and bounce and my hair holds the style no matter what until I wet it again. I see you've been using Wen for three years so your hair may be growing and you need to use more for a good cleanse. That happened to me. I was thinking the same thing like, hey what's going on here? I realized I needed to use more for a good cleanse. From Scalp to ends everything must be saturated in Wen. I also comb it through and let it sit there for the entire shower. I know this may sound odd but using the oils on my scalp over night helped too. I'm sure other posters will have good ideas too. Don't give up! I had many twists and turns too.

My hair has never been oily, not even my scalp. But since it is in such good shape from using WEN all this time, I have been cheating on the pumps, and sometimes I don't even wash it twice because after just one cleansing, it feels soft and squeaks when I rinse it. My hair is long, thick in volume, but somewhat fine. I never combed through like they do in the presentations. Perhaps I should go back to using twice as many pumps again and then doing the second wash. BTW, I no longer need to leave in product on the ends. I never blow dry my hair--use sponge rollers mostly--and rarely have dry or split ends anymore. Thanks for the suggestions.

@lovessister2

If you're not using Wen the way Chaz has recommended, then you're not cleansing correctly.  The first cleanse removes all the dirt, grime and buildup.  The second cleanse provides your hair with all the additional benefits.  The leave-in provides your hair with added protection and repels the dirt.  The saw tooth comb by Wen is the best at distributing Wen evenly through the hair without damaging it.  Linda Cooper and I chatted one evening about the benefits of using the Wen comb and called it an essential part of the cleansing process.

I've learned to always do as Chaz suggests when it comes to cleansing.  I also do the leave-in every time I cleanse, the styling creme (whether I'm heat styling or air drying), the mousse, the oils two-three overnights a week, the remoist once a week and the replenishing mist several times a day.  I also use the volumizing spray and the texturizing balm .

I've heard Chaz say so many times that the majority of people that complain that their hair feels greasy or weighed down is because they're not cleansing properly or not rinsing enough.

Wen user for over 14 years.

Favorite formulas: TT, LAV, SCM, FTP, WCM, 613, MIF, BGT