Honored Contributor

anyone else hate the scent of sandalwood?

Sandalwood literally makes me nauseous, sometimes I get sick from it, and it's in more and more products.   It must be cheap!   No other scent affects me this way.  People are wearing a lot less cologne but sandalwood is showing up in hand sanitizer and shampoo and all kinds of things.

Respected Contributor

Re: anyone else hate the scent of sandalwood?

I love the smell of sandalwood; always have. 

Honored Contributor

I like Sandalwood, it is in a lot of the more spicier scented perfumes and candles that I like, however I do not like the smell of Ylang Ylang, that gives me a headache!

Honored Contributor

I don't like it much on its own, but I like it mixed in with other things where it's not the predominant scent. I prefer it over patchouli.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

Sandalwood literally makes me nauseous, sometimes I get sick from it, and it's in more and more products.   It must be cheap!   No other scent affects me this way.  People are wearing a lot less cologne but sandalwood is showing up in hand sanitizer and shampoo and all kinds of things.

It's not my favorite.  I probably prefer it more when mixed in with someting else than as a predominant scent in cologne as well.  It can be in a candle scent mix too and some are OK. From my recent Nest sampler purchase, the White Sandalwood is one of my least favorites.  The dry down is maybe a little better than when first applied, but it ranked next to the last for me.  I don't know where you got your info about people wearing a lot less cologne.  I haven't seen that documented anywhere or noticed it when I'm out and about.  I understand what it's like to feel nauseous or get a headache from certain colognes, but just because you or I might not  like a particular scent, I wouldn't automatically assume it's cheap.  To me that sounds both elitist and insulting to those who do enjoy it.

Contributor

I feel exactly the same way. Just cannot tolerate that scent or patchouli. Both make me feel nauseated. Even when they are in a blend, those scents are the ones that stand out.  

Honored Contributor

I like Sandalwood.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinchGood point that everything we personally dislike isn't necessarily cheap, bad, etc.

Imagine how many people would disagree if I used those words to describe lavender?  All I need to say - if I even need to tell anyone except friends who might buy it for me - is that I don't like it. 

Respected Contributor

I love love sandal wood!

Honored Contributor

I love the note of sandalwood in perfume. When it's used, it's almost always in the base. It's woody, soft, creamy feel adds balance and depth.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland