Trusted Contributor

Re: Your Gray Hair: When did you draw the line & stop?

I have only dyed my own hair once in my whole life - when I was about 40 and noticed a few grays sneaking in!

I am very lucky in that the gray in my hair now, at age 67, looks like a light streaking!   There are only a few strands that are gray!  I've even had women ask me where I get my streaking done to make it look so natural!  They look at me funny when I say that the good Lord did my tipping/steaking!

My hair is fine and long, but I can pin it in an "updo" and it looks just fine, and the streaks are welcome!

Honored Contributor

@MRSTH wrote:

@espree

"Does it matter to an employer to look "youthful"? "

There's no one answer. It depends on the prospective employer. And, although there are no laws preventing a prospective employer from asking your age, most will not. They know that that can be used in a, potential, discrimination case. 

Do not put your age/DOB on your resume, website, reel... LI, FB profile.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

@ILTH, I love your tag line. Scary but true.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

I decided to stop coloring my hair when I was in my early sixties.  Most of my light gray hair is in the front, and it forms a nice frame for my face.  I have a minor balding issue.  The light gray hair makes the problem less obvious.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@MRSTH wrote:

@espree

"Does it matter to an employer to look "youthful"? "

There's no one answer. It depends on the prospective employer. And, although there are no laws preventing a prospective employer from asking your age, most will not. They know that that can be used in a, potential, discrimination case. 

Do not put your age/DOB on your resume, website, reel... LI, FB profile.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

@ILTH, I love your tag line. Scary but true.

I haven't written a resume for about 25 years but don't you still have to put when you graduated from High School & college? Your work experience? Anyone even halfway intelligent will be able to decern your age.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 66 and color my own hair about every 3 weeks with Revlon Colorsilk Medium Brown or their Buttercream color.  I alternate. 

Have no idea how gray I am, but would estimate maybe 30 - 40 percent.

Now and then I go to the salon, but it truly doesn't look any different than when the stylist does it.

Contrary to what some say, it does not look harsh, awful, unnatural or garish.  It looks like my hair color because that was my hair color.

I have few wrinkles thanks to care and good genes.  I am of Italian decent and have light olive skin.  I would look deathly with gray hair. 

As long as I can manage to do it, I'll color.  It takes me around an hour to color, wash, style. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

"I haven't written a resume for about 25 years but don't you still have to put when you graduated from High School & college? Your work experience?"

No, you NEVER put years of degree(s).

As for work experience, after a certain point, you put the years of your 1 or 2 more recent/current position(s) only.  For the older employment, you don't include dates. 

This has been the convention for decades....since the digital age and since age discrimination has been taken seriously (they just happen to coincide.... one has nothing to do with the other).

"Anyone even halfway intelligent will be able to decern your age."

Most resumes are sent online or as links to websites. The prospective employer sees your experience/education/potential blindly. If you're called in for a meeting/interview, you, already, have points going for you. Age might not be as important to the prospective employer after you've gotten your foot in the door. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina

Something came to mind after my original post .....

When I was young, my mother talked about the importance of women keeping themselves up, and never "letting themselves go".  

She laughingly said "women require more maintenance" than men do .... that the male of the species always has the brighter plumage .... and referenced an example from nature:  

Female Peacock:

Image result for picture of  female peacock

Male Peacock:

Image result for picture of  male peacock

Image result for picture of  male peacock

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My lovely Mom lived to be almost 95 and still was coloring her hair, it was very important to her.

Yep, my grandmother colored her red hair till the day she died, too.  When she developed Parkinson's and couldn't do it herself anymore, she taught my grandfather how to color her hair, lol!  On the other hand, he didn't get many gray hairs at all, and he lived well into his eighties.  My mom, his daughter, just developed a few around her face, which blended in with her light hair color.  I have the exact same hair type/color that they had, and at almost 68 still have almost no gray. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

My family doesn't get gray til after 90.    Not a joke.    However, I am a bleached blonde, and plan to stay that way.

@DesertdiI definitely believe you, because my family is the same way!  There are posters on this board (and I guess some people IRL) who think that you're lying when you say this, but it's just heredity - no different than inheriting curly hair or a family of redheads through the generations.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I haven't written a resume for about 25 years but don't you still have to put when you graduated from High School & college? Your work experience? Anyone even halfway intelligent will be able to decern your age.

@espree,

I recently filled out an application where after each job, they wanted your reason for leaving.

For my last job, I wrote, "took retirement package".   LOL!

And, yes, on some applications you must state when you went to school.

At this point in my life, I have no shame. 

As the saying goes ... "It is what it is" ---

I am what I am.

If they don't like it ---- I just don't care anymore.

Edit:

Oh!  And, to answer your question, I think age does matter to most employers.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."