Honored Contributor

Re: Your Gray Hair: When did you draw the line & stop?

@RinaRina   My hair turned mostly white (not grey) by age 25-30 like the other women in my family. I continued to color it my natural dark brown until I reached 60. At that point, my hairdresser (who I had to visit every 3 wks.) suggested going a few shades lighter because of my fair skin. By 65, I had it w/ going so often and white roots sparkling through after 2 wks.

She changed my base color to light brown (now uses semipermanent color) & did heavy blonde/very light brown highlights. As the lt. brown base washes off in 6-8 weeks, my white hair becomes a highlight color and eventually I will stop using the base color at roots & then allow the white to grow in & blend w/ no more haircolor. With my curly hair, this change to highlights & light base color, I can't see roots.

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped three years ago sort of.  I did stop coloring my hair all over  and let it grow out.  MY hair is short so it only took a couple of cuts.  I was not happy with my gray.  IT really washed me out so now I have dark brown low lights added every couple of months to bring some color back in.  So now I am salt and pepper and very happy with that look.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

And stop dyeing your hair?

Was it when you turned 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%  gray?

I was going to dye my hair today, but changed my mind .....

All of a sudden, I just don't want to do it anymore.

Woman Sad

My hair went prematurly grey in my 30's. I colored it up until age 58.  I just gave up one day as I was 100% white and it was a never ending battle between me and the skunk white streak and white temples. I was coloring every other week as the color would wash out even though I used permanet color.  So I  grew out the white about two inches... and then went in and cut my hair short short.  In two months one more cut and all the old color was gone.  

Now I have grown it out to just past my shoulders over the past three years. I usually wear it up for now.  Maybe someday I will go in and have it cut into some kind of style. Right now   I just wash and condition my hair once a week.  No mess, no fuss. No chemicals!  I accept the fact of my Irish heritage and getting my Mother's prematurely grey gene.  I have white hair. I am 61. I am good with that!

Trusted Contributor

I stopped coloring my hair about 6 months ago.  The gray/white hairs at first blended in with the light blonde of summer.   Over the holidays I was asked several times if I was feeling well as my face was pale.  I felt great until the questions.  With my grayish hairs I had thought my skin looked washed out so had continued to use my summer shade of foundation.  I had enough and hope it works for me.  Last night I gave in and colored it a "ultra light natural blonde".  I realize grays are hard to color but still only left on 25 minutes just in an effort to blend colors.  (I take meds for Lupus and arthritis all of which are hard on my hair and nails.).  This AM in the house light I am very pleased.  There is a gradual blend of old and new.  The mousy gray has a nice blondish shade.  Per my weatherman no sun this week so I hope it looks as good outside in bright sun.   My natural winter skin color now suits my hair better and I feel better about my look.  I always wear moisturizer, a light tinted SPF and mascara.   Today I don't feel the need for foundation which I seldom use.  I am waiting a few weeks to see if the questions about my health stops.   If my hair looks good in the sunlight I will continue to color it every couple of months when it needs blending.  Right now it looks like I had it highlighted.  The grays, whites and blondes all took the color in different shades like a natural look.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

And stop dyeing your hair?

Was it when you turned 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%  gray?

I was going to dye my hair today, but changed my mind .....

All of a sudden, I just don't want to do it anymore.

Woman Sad

My hair went prematurly grey in my 30's. I colored it up until age 58.  I just gave up one day as I was 100% white and it was a never ending battle between me and the skunk white streak and white temples. I was coloring every other week as the color would wash out even though I used permanet color.  So I  grew out the white about two inches... and then went in and cut my hair short short.  In two months one more cut and all the old color was gone.  

Now I have grown it out to just past my shoulders over the past three years. I usually wear it up for now.  Maybe someday I will go in and have it cut into some kind of style. Right now   I just wash and condition my hair once a week.  No mess, no fuss. No chemicals!  I accept the fact of my Irish heritage and getting my Mother's prematurely grey gene.  I have white hair. I am 61. I am good with that!

@SeaMaiden~

wow-I never knew that about Irish heritage and prematurely grey! Me too after about 30.(I'm half Irish) But my grandmother who's hair was all white at 30 was not Irish.

And the few times I did dye it darker, it never turned out well.

At one point my kids called me cruela deville haha! I just had to wait for it all to grow out into all silver/white.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Suggest investigate YouTube. Often! I've seen this kind of thread start with the OP such as yourself asking for help. Slowly but surely thread turns into debating or hurtful things said. Like I said above many excellent YouTube channels with women who have chose stop coloring hair. Myself stopped few years ago! Never regret my decision. Imo and experience, Vitally important! Have a plan. Such as great uncomplicated hairstyle. Choice for me pixie. After grey came decided wanted shoulder length, couple weeks ago chose new hip modern bob style. Love!! My grey! Complimented often. Best wishes🌷
Honored Contributor

I'm 61 and never had any grey hair so  far. I often wonder how those of you who color your greys can maintain such a high degree of tolerance. I just could not do it. I would probably be one of the women who happily goes through life with grey hair.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I stopped three years ago sort of.  I did stop coloring my hair all over  and let it grow out.  MY hair is short so it only took a couple of cuts.  I was not happy with my gray.  IT really washed me out so now I have dark brown low lights added every couple of months to bring some color back in.  So now I am salt and pepper and very happy with that look.

That's my problem -- I can't stand that pale, pasty look the gray hair gives me.  But, today, I thought to myself --- "I can't dye my hair forever".

The other thing is, my hair comes to waist.  I figured, by the time the summer comes, I'll have enuf growth to just chop it off to my shoulders, so I won't have 3 different shades of hair.

Of course, even shorter hair may not solve my "pasty" look issue.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

@Pearley

"Thanks though for the implied insult."

I implied nothing; you inferred something. My world doesn't revolve around you. I was taking about myself, thus, the words "I" and "my".

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

Honored Contributor

For me I don't see ever drawing the line.  I hate the look of gray hair and I always want to look and feel my best.  I also enjoy the relaxing time spent having it done. Some are happy with gray hair and that's fine but to criticize  and say those that choose to color their gray are not happy and secure in who they are.   That's like saying anyone who chooses to go gray and not color is lazy, has just given up and doesn't care about looking their best!  It's a matter of choice - no right and no wrong.  There is a 95 year old woman who goes to the salon where I do and she has a hard time walking but comes in regularly to have her gray covered and it makes her so happy.