Respected Contributor

Re: Your Gray Hair: When did you draw the line & stop?

@espree wrote:

I hope this is not a repeat question as I do not have the time to read all of the posts. I am currently 63. The gray in my hair just started coming in a year ago. Honestly!  I told myself nope, don't want to color; too costly, too time-consuming. BUT my position is being eliminated after 26 years and I will have to look for a another full time job. Does it matter to an employer to look "youthful"? I don't want to hijact this thread but I really don't know what to do and would appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks!

Espree,

Msg #60 is for you.

Woman Tongue

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@RinaRina  I once had a thread about this which got a lot of replies and caused a lot of controversy.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Is-There-An-Age-After-Which-Women-Should-Just-Go-With-The...

Wow! 

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I always colored my own hair, since I wear it short. I stopped about age 56-57. It became such a hassle to keep it up, also taking care of my elderly mom, & I was not going much of anywhere. I stopped, let roots grow out as much as I could stand, then cut it slightly shorter than normal. I don't regret it at all. My natural hair was very dark brown, but around 45, I went red.

*Sometimes I dream I color it again & always get upset in my dream that I ruined my hard work of letting it go natural,lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 62, a brunette with an occasional gray hair....very little.  I do color it 3-4 times a year just to give it some nice warm caramel tones.  So when my "roots" grow in too much it's just a flat dark brown then I know it's time to add some spice to it.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I haven't decided to quit coloring my hair but I can understand why women decide to quit. It's time consuming for sure. I color my own hair so I can do it on my own schedule. My hair does not hold on to color at the roots very well so I'm always doing retouches.

Some women can rock gray hair, those who catch my eye have a great haircut, the gray looks good with their complexion, and they look fashionable.

I think I would look like a washed out schoolmarm with gray hair as I seldom wear gray clothing because it doesn't flatter my skintone.

Respected Contributor

I have been asking myself when should I quit dying it.  I started dying it it my 30s to give it more body and feel thicker.  I dyed it same color as my hair.  Now I do it for gray and body.  I guess when it is more gray I may stop or maybe when I am unable to do it myself. 

Honored Contributor

I will NEVER go gray! Never! If any woman wants to purposely look 20 years older than her years than knock yourself out and let your hair go gray! Not me! I get my hair colored every 6 weeks. I'm only about 20% gray but I'm just guessing since I'll never be able to see how gray I actually am!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was one of those women who said, "I will never let my hair go gray". One day (in the late 90's) I tried on a gray wig in the makeup store I worked at (I also sold wigs there).  I was rather taken back by how much I liked it.  I am very cool toned with med. blue/gray eyes so it complimented my coloring.

One thing I did take notice of..... quite often, when I did a makeover on women with gray hair.....  the women who were willing to tweek their makeup looked a whole lot better that those who kept doing the same thing they always did. My advice to gray haired ladies...is...if you want to look good in gray hair and keep your nude lips or light eyes going, have at least one place on your face you play up with a bit  more color...whether it be in the blush, the eyes, the lips. That solves the "pasty" look for most gals and still lets you be you! So will the right blush...if you need it.  Most women do.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My hair started to turn grey mid 20's so I colored it. I lost all my hair to chemo at 34 and when it came back in it was about 1/2 white - all in the front - but was so delicate I was afraid to put chemicals on it so my hair has been white for 34 years now - I am 68 and 100% white hair. 

I think there are many shades of "grey" hair and some are more attractive than others. I also think some people's complexion is more complimented by their "grey" than others, so some of us love our pretty grey (or white) hair and others hate their's. It is certainly all a personal choice. Don't let some very overly vain women here tell you what they think you have to do. It is your hair & your choice. They can't see your hair & they have no idea how it looks.I never associate grey hair with aging because I have essentially been grey my entire adult life.

To the first bolded sentence: I so agree. That's the reason I will pay no heed to those who suggest that embracing their gray means that they are secure and happy people and somehow are aging more gracefully.

To the second bolded sentence: We've been down this road many times. Regardless of whether you've been gray most your life and regardless of which choice the rest of us make, gray hair IS one of the primary signs of age. Some get gray very early, and others hardly at all. But the vast majority, just as with all the other signs of aging,  go gray at some point later in life. That is NOT a bad thing or a good thing. It's a fact.

❤ and repost for impact.

Totally agree.  

Actions speaker louder than 'hair'...!

And I question those who color "for job interviews."

I feel they think they're part of the 'Younger' TV cast.

If the recruiter, Human Resources & immediate manager "falls" for the guise of a little L'Oréal & a Toni perm, good heavens...that speaks negatively on the company's part.  I wouldn't want to work for an organization so easily swayed like that.    Also...if you use this hair color 'decoy' for the interview, it's a ruse you must upkeep for the duration of your employment....and never speak of grandkids or fond memories of your past to your co-workers...ever.   If asked...do you tell or lie?  I couldn't live guarded like that. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I picked up a couple of phrases reading the first few responses... "secure in myself" and "aging gracefully".

I have long hair which I have been highlighting since my 20s, and coloring and highlighting since my 40's. I consider myself an extremely secure person, who is aging gracefully. My definition of aging gracefully does not mean letting nature take its course to whatever physical conclusion. To me, it means doing things for yourself that make you feel better and more vital as you go through life.

I certainly understand women who no longer want to put up with the fuss or bother of coloring their hair and that's the reason they have decided to go gray. I guess I'm lucky -- I've been doing it myself, it's not difficult for me, and the results make me happy. I only have to do touch ups every 8-10 weeks. I figure I'm about 20-30% gray. 

To those women who choose to "age gracefully" (i.e., letting themselves go gray) .... I'd be curious to know if you also don't wear make-up to enhance your looks or do other things to enhance your looks -- manicures, new clothes, jewelry....  It's all done for the same reason, isn't it?

I think it's great for those women who choose to go gray and it's great for women who choose to color their hair. No need for either side to be defensive about it. :-)