Honored Contributor

Re: Your Assistance re: Coconut Oil for Hair

@Good4u wrote:

Why go all the trouble of real coconut oil which is hard to prepare and just use those in the B&M stores?

I use a coconut oil deep repair masque. It is generic and it has been wonderful for my thick, course hair making it soft and healthy.  

You can find these products in B&M stores or the one I have was from a beauty discount catalog.  Regardless, if you have dry, thick and course hair this will really improve the condition of your hair.

well, often they add in a bunch of other things like silicones, etc. Pure coconut oil will penetrate the hair shaft better and keep the hair strong from the inside out. Sure the others you mention will make your hair soft but you really can't beat pure coconut oil for strength and health without all the other additives.

It isn't hard to prepare- you put a little bit in your hand, rub hands together for a few seconds to liquify and run through your hair. Just as easy as how you apply yours.

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Good4u wrote:

Why go all the trouble of real coconut oil which is hard to prepare and just use those in the B&M stores?

I use a coconut oil deep repair masque. It is generic and it has been wonderful for my thick, course hair making it soft and healthy.  

You can find these products in B&M stores or the one I have was from a beauty discount catalog.  Regardless, if you have dry, thick and course hair this will really improve the condition of your hair.

well, often they add in a bunch of other things like silicones, etc. Pure coconut oil will penetrate the hair shaft better and keep the hair strong from the inside out. Sure the others you mention will make your hair soft but you really can't beat pure coconut oil for strength and health without all the other additives.

It isn't hard to prepare- you put a little bit in your hand, rub hands together for a few seconds to liquify and run through your hair. Just as easy as how you apply yours.

Sorry, I don't buy into the "hype" that additives are the villians that so many others have.  I have never yet had any problems with what I use or anything else I've ever used to increase shelf life in beauty products.  Doesn't mean that others don't, but just don't believe it just because someone says so for it may not be so for you or me, in my case.

If you want to add the extra step and you think you get something out of it.  That's okay.  But OP don't short change yourself just because it doesn't say "pure" on the product for it may not last or be as effective for long as you'd like.  

What I use as a hair masque does what I need it to do and the OP needs to make her own decision.  My hair is as healthy as I want it to be without saying on a product "pure".

Honored Contributor

@Good4u wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Good4u wrote:

Sorry, I don't buy into the "hype" that additives are the villians that so many others have.  I have never yet had any problems with what I use or anything else I've ever used to increase shelf life in beauty products.  Doesn't mean that others don't, but just don't believe it just because someone says so for it may not be so for you or me, in my case.

If you want to add the extra step and you think you get something out of it.  That's okay.  But OP don't short change yourself just because it doesn't say "pure" on the product for it may not last or be as effective for long as you'd like.  

What I use as a hair masque does what I need it to do and the OP needs to make her own decision.  My hair is as healthy as I want it to be without saying on a product "pure".

Okay. Not going to argue with you about it. It is silly coconut oil and there is no extra step. Life is too short to argue about coconut oil, lol.

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Good4u wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Good4u wrote:

Okay. Not going to argue with you about it. It is silly coconut oil and there is no extra step. Life is too short to argue about coconut oil, lol.

Not an argument.  Just another point of view.  To each their own experience and let the OP make her own decision after weighing all the info.  

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Good4u wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Good4u wrote:

I agree with you actually.  I use PURE coconut oil.  Those other products often have a small amount of coconut oil and lots of other "stuff" in them that aren't really beneficial.  The pure coconut oil is the best.  The others have cones in them to just make hair look good and feel good, but they build up.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I think almost any would work.

Personally, I've been using the Nutiva 100% organic, virgin, cold pressed unrefined coconut oil for ~15 years now and like it the best of all the coconut oils I've tried over the 30+ years I've used coconut oil.

Yes to all of this! Nutiva is my favorite, too.

Be aware that coconut oil is one of the more comedogenic oils. I can't use coconut oil on my face or scalp because it breaks me out.

Honored Contributor

@Good4u wrote:

Coconut oil is very accessible and no bother at all.  You go to Wal-Mart, park, go to the cooking oil section, make your selection, pay for it.  When you're ready to use it, put some in your hand.  It will melt almost instantly, use as desired.  No big deal, no shipping charges, no additives.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment