Honored Contributor

Re: Yellow-toned foundation for dry and sensitive skin?

Bobbi Brown makes many foundations that are suitable for yellow undertones. You could ask for a sample and see how it looks and how your skin reacts to it. The issue, though, is that if you are cool toned and try to hide rosacea with a yellow base, it sometimes doesn't look natural.

Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

@Violet Fields wrote:

Thanks again for your replies! I have tried Clinique and Bareminerals and they don't work out for me. If I remember correctly (tried so many!), they were breaking me out.

@doglover3Over the weekend I bought the Mally Face Defender BB cream in light and have been trying that out. So far, it doesn't seem to irritate my skin, but the color is too light, like you said. The next time I go to Ulta, I'll try the light medium shade. The coverage seems really light but maybe would be better with the right color.

@ladygirlThanks! I'll check ebay because that foundation looks really nice, if it's hydrating. I'm wondering too if a powder might look less patchy. 

Violet Fields, I find Mally's colors seem to run on the lighter side. I get light in other brands but get light medium in Mally's, works very well for my light complexion.

I have dry and somewhat sensitive skin and Mally's defender BB or her cushion(like the newer IT) doens't bother me at all but as for the cushion, Mally's is more price wise for what you get without a refill BUT the cushion foundations won't give you the coverage that Mally's Defender bb cream foundation will.

If you want more coverage even with Mally, try a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, works great. I just put a dab on the top of the brush than dot around my face than blend in, perfect.

Regular Contributor

@Trinity11Thanks for your reply! I do like Bobbi Brown's foundations but most of them have lavender in them, which irritates my skin. The Skin Foundation Stick doesn't, so I looked at that over the weekend. The SA put it on my face (warm ivory) and the shade was good - not too yellow, but I thought kind of light (she thought it was a good match). She kept saying it's a powder and I'd really have to moisturize very well. She couldn't make a sample from the stick. So I'm on the fence about that one, but I see ebay has small trial sizes of it.

@doglover3I checked out the light medium at Ulta and the shade just doesn't look right on me. So I'd have to mix it with a darker foundation or layer another one on top, but it's kind of expensive to do that. I'm still thinking about it though because the finish is nice!

Respected Contributor

Yes, did find her foundations do run light and some very light. It would be very expensive to have to mix shades together so just hang in there and keep trying for that perfect shade.

Honored Contributor

I also have dry, sensitive skin and have used Bobbi Brown's FOUNDATION STICK for 15 yrs. I started using it because it is not drying, but also I have very fair skin & most makeup lines think if you're very fair, you must also have pink undertones. ALL Bobbi's foundations are yellow based, cover redness & the concealers are made to match. 

Regular Contributor

If you absolutely need a foundation, I think Clinique has done a great job absorbing some of the (now extinct) Prescriptives colors, and all fragrance free with an eye for sensitive skin.

I find that my yellow-undertone (skin-tone,) skin which is generally a 'light' does well when I use a zinc/mineral-based sunscreen as my 'foundation.'  It tends to be more soothing, likely because of the zinc ingredient. The high level of sunscreen does an excellent job of keeping my rosacea from getting worse (please be wearing sunscreen daily! Sun exposure makes rosacea worse or can trigger a more aggressive event.)  And I look for products with a natural yellow or neutral base color to match my skin.

My biggest successes? (Is that a word?)

1. Fallene COTZ SPF SPF 58. Can easily be used as a primer or light coverage foundation if you are naturally light-toned in skin and yellow-base skintone.

Fallene's COTZ now comes in a WIDE range of tone and color options, check them all out by googling and see what works best for you. Stay away from chemical sunscreen versions, imo.  cotzskincare.com lists many.

2. IT Cosmetics CC SPF 50.  This comes in a tube with a pump, in several skin tone colors. A little goes a long way, and its very soothing to my skin, however, the look can be a bit flakey. I recommend using a primer underneath it to keep it less 'flaky' looking by end of day.

3. ELTA MD - Great sunscreens, many are transparent and can be worn under foundation.

Regular Contributor

@ShanusWow, that's great that foundation has worked for you for that long! Maybe it'll work for me also if you're dry and sensitive too.

@cerintheIt's funny you suggest COTZ because that's what I'm wearing, but I didn't realize that it comes in many different formulas. I'll check them out! I'm using the Sensitive SPF 40 one. That one doesn't irritate my skin but it's kind of greasy-looking and I've found that some makeup products don't work well with it. This is the first one though that I can wear on my cheeks. I do have IT CC cream and can't wear it on my cheeks (it breaks me out). Sometimes I mix it with another CC cream and wear it on other parts of my face.

Frequent Contributor

I highly recommend Lucy Minerals.  Their products have no irritants, there is a Lucy Light foundation that is especially for extremely sensitive skin.  They have several yellow based foundations, and you can get a starter kit with a variety of shades.  Their customer service is above and beyond, and they are reasonably priced.  I have been using this line for many years. 

Lucyminerals.com

Regular Contributor

@Violet Fields Wow, no one has heard of Fallene COTZ usually so you have already done a lot of research!

I really hope someone will have a good suggestion and please let us know what you had the most success with so I can squirrel it away and try it myself!! I'm always on the lookout for the perfect 'sunblock-skin-protector' or a good foundation for sensitive skin.

Regular Contributor

@UglybusterThanks for the recommendation! I looked into Lucy Minerals and it does look good. 

@cerintheWhenever I find something that works, I'll let you know! It definitely isn't easy finding something that works for rosacea and dry skin!