Super Contributor

Re: Why should we tip at hair salons?

@IamMrsG wrote:

Why should it be the consumer's responsibility to compensate for low wages or high work expenses?  Service jobs are generally low paying, and anyone who enters into such work should know full well what to expect beforehand. To set out a tip jar is tantamount to panhandling.  To inquire if  the client wants to include a tip in payment is outrageously crass.

The onus for giving good service is on the service provider. After all, it is the job description, "service."  For the customer to be expected to pay for such "extras" as punctuality, conversation or the lack thereof, etc., is downright ludicrous.   As patron of a service oriented business I have the right to expect punctuality (as much as it is expected of me, the client), courtesy and, of course, the good performance of the service for which I am paying.  I have not hired the employee, I have employed the business.

Salary is the responsibility of the business owner, and any grievance about one should be solely between the employee and employer.  It is additionally none of my business (pun not intended) what my stylist or restaurant server paid for their training, uniforms, union dues, health care, mortgage or childcare  so I do not accept obligation to contribute to, or compensate for, any of it.

Typo found.  Edited to correct.

@IamMrsG Absolutely well written and expressed. I completely agree with everything you stated here. Especially the point that when you choose a trade/job/career, you know what it entails and what kind of compensation you can expect. If those details don't appeal to you, then choose a different path. But don't take the job and then expect everyone to over-compensate (tip) you because you chose a low-earning position.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I don't understand the need for this.

I just spent $210 for getting my hair done.  My stylist tells me she gets half of whatever I pay. 

I don't mind what anyone makes, but other than tradition, why should we tip?  We are paying their set prices for the service.  Most people do NOT make tips in their jobs.  They do their job, they get paid for it.

That would be (by most calculations) another $30 for the service already paid $210 for.

Where is the rule we should tip for this?

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  First of all, even though your stylist is in a service industry, he/she is a professional.  No, he or she may not be a doctor or lawyer, but they have had to pay a lot of money to get their education and pass the state board in order to work.  There are also continuing education classes they attend which cost money.  Add to that, they have to pay for their own supplies and tools. plus tool upkeep, and good, professional tools aren't cheap.  So, your stylist made $105 from your service.  That's gross income to her, not all spendable cash.  Depending on her situation, she need to set aside a portion of that to pay her federal and state income tax.  Let's just say that's 25% ($25.26).  So your stylist cleared $79.74 but don't forget about deducting the cost of the supplies, setting money aside for replacement tools, savings for classes, etc, besides his or her regular living expenses.

Your stylist is lucky that she gets half of the service cost.  There are many salons that do a 60/40 and the shop owner gets the 60%.  Other salons that charge booth rent can be a couple of hundred bucks a week.  The stylist has to pay the shop owner the set rent whether she's had a good week or not, plus she has the same kinds of bills everyone else has - home rent, car payment, insurance, groceries, utilities, gasoline, food, clothing, etc.  Oftentimes a salon service is the first thing someone will put off if they have other more pressing bills, but the stylist still has her regular bills nonetheless.  Therefore, he/she depends on tips as part of their income.

Continuing education, supplies, paying for training, passing state board, etc., all apply to doctors and lawyers.  It also sounded like you were describing teachers.  If we aren't tipping teachers, why are we tipping stylists?

Because teachers have retirement plans, regular working hours, a set paycheck, maybe health care and other benefits that the self-employed don't have.   And they have 3 months off in the summer.  

Tipping is what it is and I don't know why people have a problem with it.  It is a cost- so factor that in when you decide to get your hair or nails done.  If you can't afford or don't want to pay that much--including tip--go somewhere else or do it yourself.  

It is an expected thing, and part of what those service people count on to live.  People shouldn't be angry at them because of it.  Just think of it as part of the real price for service.  That's all it is.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

I agree.  Some people sound so angry at tipping a stylist, or anyone.  As I said, it goes deeper than just the tipping.  Seems many carry a deep rooted anger toward someone receiving anything for their job. other than what they think that person deserves.  It is resentment, if you have to weigh job descriptions as a sense of entitlement. I cannot think of a time hairdressers were not tipped.  What I find disturbing is the anger.  All some see is the cost of the service.  Not that that cost might be disbursed among the cost of doing business.  How can anyone think every penny of the service goes into the stylist's pocket.?  However, most hairdressers, like servers, know  not everyone is going to  tip, it is also the cost of doing business.  Thank goodness, you don't run into those clients as often as you do the gracious ones.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I just spent $210 for getting my hair done.  My stylist tells me she gets half of whatever I pay. 

I don't mind what anyone makes, but other than tradition, why should we tip?  We are paying their set prices for the service.  Most people do NOT make tips in their jobs.  They do their job, they get paid for it.

That would be (by most calculations) another $30 for the service already paid $210 for.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  First of all, even though your stylist is in a service industry, he/she is a professional.  No, he or she may not be a doctor or lawyer, but they have had to pay a lot of money to get their education and pass the state board in order to work.  There are also continuing education classes they attend which cost money.  Add to that, they have to pay for their own supplies and tools. plus tool upkeep, and good, professional tools aren't cheap.  So, your stylist made $105 from your service.  That's gross income to her, not all spendable cash.  Depending on her situation, she need to set aside a portion of that to pay her federal and state income tax.  Let's just say that's 25% ($25.26).  So your stylist cleared $79.74 but don't forget about deducting the cost of the supplies, setting money aside for replacement tools, savings for classes, etc, besides his or her regular living expenses.

Your stylist is lucky that she gets half of the service cost.  There are many salons that do a 60/40 and the shop owner gets the 60%.  Other salons that charge booth rent can be a couple of hundred bucks a week.  The stylist has to pay the shop owner the set rent whether she's had a good week or not, plus she has the same kinds of bills everyone else has - home rent, car payment, insurance, groceries, utilities, gasoline, food, clothing, etc.  Oftentimes a salon service is the first thing someone will put off if they have other more pressing bills, but the stylist still has her regular bills nonetheless.  Therefore, he/she depends on tips as part of their income.

Continuing education, supplies, paying for training, passing state board, etc., all apply to doctors and lawyers.  It also sounded like you were describing teachers.  If we aren't tipping teachers, why are we tipping stylists?

Because teachers have retirement plans, regular working hours, a set paycheck, maybe health care and other benefits that the self-employed don't have.   And they have 3 months off in the summer.  

Tipping is what it is and I don't know why people have a problem with it.  It is a cost- so factor that in when you decide to get your hair or nails done.  If you can't afford or don't want to pay that much--including tip--go somewhere else or do it yourself.  

It is an expected thing, and part of what those service people count on to live.  People shouldn't be angry at them because of it.  Just think of it as part of the real price for service.  That's all it is.

Please tell me where I can find one of those teaching jobs where I can have regular working hours and three months off in the summer.  I've never heard of such a place!  Self-employed can get health care and retirements plans too.  Actually, they can probably get better plans than the teachers in my state get.

ETA: about that set pay check that you think teachers receive...Teachers in my state got a raise for a few thousand dollars, but the paychecks were less the following year because of all the new deductions.  With testing requirements, there are no guarantees that a teacher in my state will have a job the following year.

Also, my stylist lives in an affluent neighborhood with her fiancé who recently gave her a four carat halo diamond engagement ring.  Her conversations tend to be mostly about the trips she takes.  Last month she flew to South America to do a client's wedding.  She needed to schedule my latest hair appointment earlier than usual because of her Boston trip.  The next appointment won't be on my routine schedule either because she and fiancé are going to Florida for a three-week vacation.  They're trying to get that in before their holiday trip.  Again, it's difficult for me to think of her as a "low wage earner."  My tips just support her extravagant lifestyle.  She already has some of the highest prices in the area.  

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Sooner

I agree.  Some people sound so angry at tipping a stylist, or anyone.  As I said, it goes deeper than just the tipping.  Seems many carry a deep rooted anger toward someone receiving anything for their job. other than what they think that person deserves.  It is resentment, if you have to weigh job descriptions as a sense of entitlement. I cannot think of a time hairdressers were not tipped.  What I find disturbing is the anger.  All some see is the cost of the service.  Not that that cost might be disbursed among the cost of doing business.  How can anyone think every penny of the service goes into the stylist's pocket.?  However, most hairdressers, like servers, know  not everyone is going to  tip, it is also the cost of doing business.  Thank goodness, you don't run into those clients as often as you do the gracious ones.

Pop psychology?  I've read this thread since its inception, and "deep rooted anger" has escaped my notice.    

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

Yes, I guess it is "pop" psychology.  It just popped into my mind.  LOL!

Valued Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

Please tell me where I can find one of those teaching jobs where I can have regular working hours and three months off in the summer.  I've never heard of such a place!  Self-employed can get health care and retirements plans too.  Actually, they can probably get better plans than the teachers in my state get.

ETA: about that set pay check that you think teachers receive...Teachers in my state got a raise for a few thousand dollars, but the paychecks were less the following year because of all the new deductions.  With testing requirements, there are no guarantees that a teacher in my state will have a job the following year.

Also, my stylist lives in an affluent neighborhood with her fiancé who recently gave her a four carat halo diamond engagement ring.  Her conversations tend to be mostly about the trips she takes.  Last month she flew to South America to do a client's wedding.  She needed to schedule my latest hair appointment earlier than usual because of her Boston trip.  The next appointment won't be on my routine schedule either because she and fiancé are going to Florida for a three-week vacation.  They're trying to get that in before their holiday trip.  Again, it's difficult for me to think of her as a "low wage earner."  My tips just support her extravagant lifestyle.  She already has some of the highest prices in the area.  

There are lots of teaching jobs like you describe. Self-employed DO NOT get better health insurance than teachers do, and they pay MORE in monthly premiums than teachers do.

RE your stylist - GOOD for her!

Trusted Contributor

This thread has been very enlightening! While we are posting about tipping, at a salon, do you tip the person who shampoos your hair? My stylist has a wonderful lady who really gives a good neck and head massage during the shampoo and I always give a tip to her tip jar. 

Second question: if you cut your hair yourself, how in the heck do you manage the back? Bravo to you all that do. I always felt if I could just take my head off and put it on the counter I could style my  hair better in the back. LOL! 

Honored Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

This thread has been very enlightening! While we are posting about tipping, at a salon, do you tip the person who shampoos your hair? My stylist has a wonderful lady who really gives a good neck and head massage during the shampoo and I always give a tip to her tip jar. 

Absolutely!

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

Once again we are judging people by their lifestyle.  What do you think a person's lifestyle or circumstance has to do with how much money they make?  Are you setting up a welfare state where only poor people are paid appropriately for their services?  Should YOU be paid for a job according to need rather than skill or contributions to the work place?  

My point is that teachers and others are paid a salary, have a check, agree to take the job for that amount, and have benefits.  Lots of people who work for themselves to not have a guarantee of income.  So since tipping is an accepted practice for hairdressers (accepted by most of us), they you are giving them a pay cut when you don't tip.   And they get a pay cut because they are going to Florida?  Don't see what that has to do with anything.  People should be paid for the job.  Period.