Honored Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

I'm so surprised how many women let themselves go as they age.  I've met so many over the past few months that just don't care.  I never go out without any makeup even if it's to the grocery store.   I recently had a conversation with a slightly younger family member and she said "you look so good, you know that right, you really take care of yourself."  My response was "well if I don't who will. 

I don't think basic exercise, eating right and dressing nice is overindulgent, do you?  I'm asking this because some do,  I don't do anything differently that I did in my 30's,  oh yes I do use the E.G.G. And  Lightstim now.lol  And may even get some Juvederm soon.  I know I'm not going to win the ultimate battle but I'm going to have fun while I'm here.

How do you know what is going on in anyone's life to assume that "they are not taking care of themselves?" I know people who have had chemotherapy and are just trying to stay alive, let alone look turned out well. Many people as they get older have chronic diseases that leave them unable to look their best. I won't judge anybody until I walk in their shoes.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I know so many women who move to Florida for the gorgeous weather -- then won't go out side because the sun will age them. Seriously?

Maybe they aren't out sunning themselves because of the possibility of melanoma and skin cancer.

Skin cancers do not show up for the most part until many years have passed -- sun damage as a teen or young adult-- especially if you didn't use sun screen also increases the risk of getting it when you are older (over 50 -- to use a baseline number).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I know so many women who move to Florida for the gorgeous weather -- then won't go out side because the sun will age them. Seriously?

Maybe they aren't out sunning themselves because of the possibility of melanoma and skin cancer.

Skin cancers do not show up for the most part until many years have passed -- sun damage as a teen or young adult-- especially if you didn't use sun screen also increases the risk of getting it when you are older (over 50 -- to use a baseline number).

They can also be caused by daily exposure as you age!  My derm swears by sunblock for everybody.  Your skin is more easily damaged as it ages.  One skin cancer will convince most people it is worth it!

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Yes! I take extra precautions now because I spent a lot of time outdoors as a kid, worked outside a lot when I was in my teens and 20s, and had a few bad burns. I know there's a good chance that might come back and haunt me and I keep an eye out for any spot or mark that might appear.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it is fair to say that someone who doesn't wear makeup  or doesn't wear clothes you deem as "nice" isn't takig care of themselves or is "letting themselves go". I think that is a pretty judgemental thing to say. I also think that you don't have any idea what some people are going through in terms of their weight or their fitness. I see some of the same people at the gym all the time and they work out hard but are still heavy and not very toned but they ARE exercising and sometimes harder than me! You may have looked at those people and assumed they don't do "basic" exercise and you'd be wrong.

I don't know, I really respect you but to make such broad assumptions about other women is a little unfair.

With that said,  I am like you- I eat well, I exercise regularly and have all my life and I've never been overweight. I also enjoy wearing makeup but I have gone out in public without it because, frankly, I have good skin and can look almost as good without at and sometimes I just don't have the time or energy. That may not be true as I get older but for now, I fee confident not wearing too.  However, what others do and do don't do really isn't a concern of mine- I am just trying to stay healthy and fit and live a long life, I don't have time nor energy to worry about anyone else (but my family of course)!

And although I don't think most people think exercising, wearing makeup or dressing "right" (whatever that means?) is overindulgent,   I ceratinly think some may feel using the E.G.G (whatever that is?), Lightstim and Juverderm is overindulgent so I suppose it depends on your perspective.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I don't think it is fair to say that someone who doesn't wear makeup  or doesn't wear clothes you deem as "nice" isn't takig care of themselves or is "letting themselves go". I think that is a pretty judgemental thing to say. I also think that you don't have any idea what some people are going through in terms of their weight or their fitness. I see some of the same people at the gym all the time and they work out hard but are still heavy and not very toned but they ARE exercising and sometimes harder than me! You may have looked at those people and assumed they don't do "basic" exercise and you'd be wrong.

I don't know, I really respect you but to make such broad assumptions about other women is a little unfair.

With that said,  I am like you- I eat well, I exercise regularly and have all my life and I've never been overweight. I also enjoy wearing makeup but I have gone out in public without it because, frankly, I have good skin and can look almost as good without at and sometimes I just don't have the time or energy. That may not be true as I get older but for now, I fee confident not wearing too.  However, what others do and do don't do really isn't a concern of mine- I am just trying to stay healthy and fit and live a long life, I don't have time nor energy to worry about anyone else (but my family of course)!

And although I don't think most people think exercising, wearing makeup or dressing "right" (whatever that means?) is overindulgent,   I ceratinly think some may feel using the E.G.G (whatever that is?), Lightstim and Juverderm is overindulgent so I suppose it depends on your perspective.

Yes to this!

It's possible to do all those things OP mentioned without also putting other women down for not doing those things.

Respected Contributor

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Regular Contributor

Why do women feel the need to criticize how other women look?

Respected Contributor

I am surrounded by fun and fascinating talented friends. Women and men who are all gorgeous whether they keep themselves up or not, put make-up on or not.

I choose to work out because it keeps my body working. I eat healthy because I feel better when I do. I wear make-up because I feel better when I do it! 

Besides that, I am that person who runs into everyone I've ever met if I am out on my worst day!!!

What you choose to do is fine with me!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

@lovethgedress wrote:

Why do women feel the need to criticize how other women look?

It boosts their ego to think how much better they look?