Esteemed Contributor

I'm so surprised how many women let themselves go as they age.  I've met so many over the past few months that just don't care.  I never go out without any makeup even if it's to the grocery store.   I recently had a conversation with a slightly younger family member and she said "you look so good, you know that right, you really take care of yourself."  My response was "well if I don't who will. 

I don't think basic exercise, eating right and dressing nice is overindulgent, do you?  I'm asking this because some do,  I don't do anything differently that I did in my 30's,  oh yes I do use the E.G.G. And  Lightstim now.lol  And may even get some Juvederm soon.  I know I'm not going to win the ultimate battle but I'm going to have fun while I'm here.

Respected Contributor

You go, girl!

Esteemed Contributor

I only worry about myself.  I have no idea what goes on in other people's lives.  I take care of myself and if somebody wants to go out without makeup so be it.  

Honored Contributor

I think a lot of it comes down to self esteem. If you feel good about yourself, it shows on your face.

But I do understand that if you are ill, you may not want to go and pretty yourself up to go outside. What person does want to apply makeup if they are feeling not up to it?

Still others have good genes (your parents) and that also is a factor as to how well one looks.

Some women will dye their hair, still others won't. It's all about what you want to do. Exercise and eating healthy also play a factor into this; avoiding in the past long hours in the sun as a teen/young adult also help your skin look 'younger'. Applying sun screen as an adult also helps keep your skin from aging (especially if you are a sun lover).

Yes, I have seen people my age, look a lot older but we never know what is going on in their lives. I look at it with this quote:

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh ******, she's up!"

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

If it makes someone happy to do the entire Joan Rivers thing and have all that plastic surgery etc - fine , go for it. But you have no more right to tell someone else they should be doing more than they have to tell you to do less. I wonder if the OP gets that?

Honored Contributor

I know so many women who move to Florida for the gorgeous weather -- then won't go out side because the sun will age them. Seriously?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

I honestly don't notice if other people are not wearing makeup ever.  I notice if someones is specifically dramatic though and make note if I want to try their look. I like makeup a lot, but choosing to not wear it to the grocery store isn't a sign of letting yourself go. It's the grocery store. On the other hand, there are plenty of people like my BFF that sadly won't leave the house or let anyone see her without makeup because has such poor self esteem. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

This is a topic I see often on many other boards I frequent and it ALWAYS gets VERY heated for a couple of reasons.

The most commonly asked question is this:

"Why is it considered 'letting yourself go' if you are not into wearing makeup, having your hair 'done', wearing clothes of a certain design/style as long as you are clean, your clothes are clean and neat and you are doing a great job at work/at home/in your community?

Many believe that at a certain point in a woman's life (notice it isn't the word AGE), she has earned the maturity to decide for herself how SHE chooses to look instead of following the BS that is spewed on social media, in magazines and by men.

I know many women in their 20's and 30's who do not give blip about makeup, hair or looking fashionable. Nor is there pressure to be a certain size now as women are encouraged to "embrace their curves/weight". They excel at work/in their career, they have good relationships with males and females and they are happy.

So though I understand what you are saying and are doing (because I do the same), the overwhelming opinion is that those things do NOT matter any more at ANY age. It's almost scorned/sneered at.

Interesting, isn't it?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I know so many women who move to Florida for the gorgeous weather -- then won't go out side because the sun will age them. Seriously?

Maybe they aren't out sunning themselves because of the possibility of melanoma and skin cancer.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

@151949 who said anything about telling someone else what to do? And Joan Rivers may she rest in peace took care of herself and was more with it people half her age, plastic surgery or not, SHe was a class act.