Honored Contributor

Why do foundations feel tacky on my skin

I am 61 and my skin is sensitive, has roseaca and is  still pretty oily. I use a gentle cleanser and then usually Clinique Moisture surge oil free.

It seems that no matter what liquid  foundation I use my skin feels tacky.

Granted it is Summer.

Do I need something to keep the oil at bay and start with a clean palette or am I destine to deal with the slick forever 

many thanks 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: Why do foundations feel tacky on my skin

I have similar skin issues.  In the summer I don't use moisturizer, just a BB cream that is tinted.  Try matte foundations.  Drugstore brands are good.  I like Maybelline Fit Me in the matte line.  Cover Girl's Ready Set Gorgeous is a good one.

I believe higher end foundations are more emollient and are better for dry skin (in general).  Don't be afraid to experiment.   

Occasional Contributor

I use Laura Gellar powder foundation and LOVE it!!  No more tacky!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm wondering if you need to wait a little while to let your moisturizer sink in before you put on your foundation. If I rush that , I get the tacky feeling too. However, I am 62 with super dry skin so I use alot of products to keep the moisture going. And maybe a powder foundation is more suited to your skin. Go to Paulas Choice website and email someone of even call them. They are so good about answering any questions. I use PC and do love it!!

Honored Contributor

I have oily skin, too. My foundations don't feel tacky. Even when we seem the same what works varies so what I do may or may not work for others...

I always use a primer first, over skincare & before makeup - I use Monistat (not sold as a primer but works great as one) or Spackle mattifying oil control primer.

I don't care for liquid foundations & find that creams or powders work best for me. Cover Girl/Olay Simply Ageless & Laura Geller Balance and Brighten are examples of foundations I use & like. I always finish with Mally Poreless Face Defender to help my makeup last through the day.

Are you using any skincare serums during the day? Sometimes they can leave skin feeling tacky if too much product is used or it is not given enough time to absorb/set. 

Trusted Contributor

I can't wear liquid or powder foundations anymore.  I've been using BB cream and it is so much better for me.  Plus it does camouflage imperfections and I'm much more comfortable.  

Honored Contributor

I think you may be wearing too much foundation, try using less and see how that works.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox,

Try using a mattifying / finishing powder. There are many brands on the market.

It Cosmetics has the top-rated Bye-Bye Pores HD Micro-Finishing (loose) Powder.

Tarte has the Amazonian Clay pressed Finishing Powder. You don't need to make  a color-choice for either of these powders...they are colorless.

These kinds if powders will absorb excess oil and set your foundation to make it look fresher longer thru the day.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Maybe you shouldn't be using liquid foundation? 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am 61 and my skin is sensitive, has roseaca and is  still pretty oily. I use a gentle cleanser and then usually Clinique Moisture surge oil free.

It seems that no matter what liquid  foundation I use my skin feels tacky.

Granted it is Summer.

Do I need something to keep the oil at bay and start with a clean palette or am I destine to deal with the slick forever 

many thanks 

Maybe it's silicone in the the Clinique Moisture surge that is making your complexion more oily.

You would probably be better off using a primer and a powder based foundation without oil in the ingredient deck.