Respected Contributor

Re: Why SO many NOT beauty related posts here???

On 1/20/2014 myshell624 said:

Most posters come here. This forum gets more views than the others. PLus, some have only posted here and since they are familiar with some of the other posters they probably feel more comfortable posting here. This is just my guess. It doesn't bother me. Most have the O/T in the title so it is the viewers choice to read it or not.

You're right on.

Honored Contributor

Some days it gets ridiculous with all the OT post though. The other day, the first page had more OT posts than beauty related posts. I don't mind them once in awhile but sometimes it gets too much.

Respected Contributor

It is easy to ignore these posts. What I don't get is if you have a kitchen topic, why on earth would you post it in beauty? The other thing I don't get is what on earth are people thinking when they want medical advice? No one here can diagnose, prescribe or do anything else for a medical question. It's really stupid.

Respected Contributor

On 1/20/2014 HappyDaze said:

Some days it gets ridiculous with all the OT post though. The other day, the first page had more OT posts than beauty related posts. I don't mind them once in awhile but sometimes it gets too much.

Try not to let it get to you. You could perhaps skip over those topics.

Honored Contributor

Don't re_d them _s it is your choice.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Most of the people have been on this board for years and feel as if we just talk about anything with each other.There are a few snobs,mean and just down right evil people on here but most are very very nice and feelfor each other.
Respected Contributor

I don't see where O/T posts violate the standards. I did find this below, but it just says stay on topic.

"Keep your postings relevant to the topic. This makes it easier for others to follow the conversation."

To me, that says don't have separate discussions within a thread that don't relate to the subject. O/T posts don't bother me. When I checked I saw many only 2 out of many. If there were more O/T threads than beauty-related then ya, it might be a problem. But there aren't, so no big deal IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/20/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I don't see where O/T posts violate the standards. I did find this below, but it just says stay on topic.

"Keep your postings relevant to the topic. This makes it easier for others to follow the conversation."

To me, that says don't have separate discussions within a thread that don't relate to the subject. O/T posts don't bother me. When I checked I saw many only 2 out of many. If there were more O/T threads than beauty-related then ya, it might be a problem. But there aren't, so no big deal IMO.

Beauty is a topic. Posting political threads in this forum, for example, is not keeping it relevant to the topic of beauty, but it really doesn't matter because Webbie doesn't want to police the boards anyway.

IMO, OT threads have about the same effect as thread bumping because both require lots of filtering through the posts. Funny how some get so upset about thread bumping yet have no problem with OT posts. I also find it interesting to note how the "friends" who want advice from "friends" are often new posters or posters who rarely post here on a regular basis.

Super Contributor

I couldn't care less, I just bypass what I'm not interested in. I don't even pay attention most of the time to what category a topic is posted in. I just think some think that certain boards are their personal message boards because they're the only ones they go to.

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2014 wildcat fan said:
On 1/20/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

<em>"Keep your postings relevant to the topic. This makes it easier for others to follow the conversation."</em>

<em><br /></em>

Beauty is a topic. Posting political threads in this forum, for example, is not keeping it relevant to the topic of beauty, but it really doesn't matter because Webbie doesn't want to police the boards anyway.

IMO, OT threads have about the same effect as thread bumping because both require lots of filtering through the posts. Funny how some get so upset about thread bumping yet have no problem with OT posts. I also find it interesting to note how the "friends" who want advice from "friends" are often new posters or posters who rarely post here on a regular basis.

I read that Standard the same as does RCG because otherwise the "This makes it easier for others to follow the conversation" doesn't really make sense. A conversation takes place WITHIN a particular thread.

So I'm quite sure that they want us to try to not veer too far from the topic a person posts. Personally, I think threads are naturally fluid. As long as a subthread somehow ties back to the topic, I'm fine with that.

I do avoid extended chit-chat that I don't even understand and also post after post of irrelevant pictures.

The bottom line is it doesn't really matter what I prefer. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland