Esteemed Contributor

Why I dislike loose powder makeup

Why I dislike loose powder makeup. Yeah, I used to be a fan of all those loose mineral powder foundations and blushes at one time and my daughter still likes them.

But they were messy and stained Sterlite drawers and the bathroom sink rubber gasket on the sink edge like they were paint. I could not get the rubber gasket clean in my daughter's bathroom so I ended up unscrewing the bolts from the sink underside of the drop in sink and removing the gasket. I cleaned the gasket track with an electric toothbrush and got the gunk out but it remains stained permanently. I cleaned around the counter and sink edges before putting the gasket back on and tightening the sink screws that hold the sink to the counter.

While it looks and is cleaner now, I'm not happy that the rubber gasket is permanently stained by the makeup. The only solution is to buy a new sink as the hardware store doesn't sell replacement rubber sink gaskets.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why I dislike loose powder makeup

I understand what you're saying and your frustration!  I used to wear loose powder for years and years!  I loved how it looked, but got so digusted with it flying all over the place and leaving a film.  Plus, when I needed a touch up I dragged the whole thing with me and that was a pain.  So, I switched to solid powder and I don't think I like it nearly as well, but I am not willing to go back to that mess again!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I was probably doing it wrong but I always felt like I was rubbing dirt on my face.

And yes it's a mess, too

@TY wrote:

Why I dislike loose powder makeup. Yeah, I used to be a fan of all those loose mineral powder foundations and blushes at one time and my daughter still likes them.

But they were messy and stained Sterlite drawers and the bathroom sink rubber gasket on the sink edge like they were paint. I could not get the rubber gasket clean in my daughter's bathroom so I ended up unscrewing the bolts from the sink underside of the drop in sink and removing the gasket. I cleaned the gasket track with an electric toothbrush and got the gunk out but it remains stained permanently. I cleaned around the counter and sink edges before putting the gasket back on and tightening the sink screws that hold the sink to the counter.

While it looks and is cleaner now, I'm not happy that the rubber gasket is permanently stained by the makeup. The only solution is to buy a new sink as the hardware store doesn't sell replacement rubber sink gaskets.

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan either because it doesn't travel well and regardless of how careful I am, I always somehow seem to spill some. Never fails!

Respected Contributor

WOW.  Sounds like you all have had a rough time of it.  When I started with Bare Minerals I watched Leslie as she was teaching how to apply.  Very small amounts of the product and use the lid to pick up with a brush.  I've not had the problems you have had.  I can see how you could if you use too much at a time.  I also have a Bare Minerals store close by and they have been fantastic about teaching how to use the products.  Very small amounts are always the key. 

Just a thought about the cleaning around the sink.  Have you tried  making a paste of oxyclean and letting it sit for a couple of hours?  I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

Honored Contributor

I don't understand ......  Why so much spillage?

I've been using a loose mineral makeup for years now .... I mix my own colors .....  and have never had a problem powder all over the place.     Hmm.   

Honored Contributor

I get a cloud when I "tap, tap. tap".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never had issues with mess or staining even when traveling. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@TY,  You must be talking about loose powder foundation because I use loose setting powder and have no problem at all.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1

Yes, it's loose mineral powder foundation as well as loose mineral powder blush that my daughter uses.