Respected Contributor

When to toss your makeup/skincare stash?

At what point do you decide to toss it, even if you loved it and forgot about it when you got something new? I'm contemplating tossing most everything over 12 months old. What do you think! This includes skin care that was ok, but I moved on to others. Should I try it again or just toss if it is open?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When to toss your makeup/skincare stash?

When you don't want it any more; when you've found something better, i.e., more flattering colors; when texture or smell has been compromised; when you're tired of any clutter it may be causing.

Honored Contributor

It is individual choice. If you really don't want to use them get rid of them. But don't add more things to the stash. It is almost always self-defeating.

When I joined the ComPact group here I gathered everything up (that I could find! lol...) and threw out what had gone bad as well as what I did not care for and did not want to use.

The rest I kept & have been working on using up. I rarely buy anything unless I run out completely. I do not buy things to add to a stash. There will always be a great sale coming & there will always be newer, better products to try. I'll buy them when I actually need them.

Contributor

When the colour, texture or smell changed, I throw it away.

Super Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Harpa said:

When you don't want it any more; when you've found something better, i.e., more flattering colors; when texture or smell has been compromised; when you're tired of any clutter it may be causing.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Harpa pretty well said it all!!!

Honored Contributor

I use stuff I like even thought I've found something I like better on days when I am just at home and not going out but if there is a product that I try and know I don't like or want I will get rid of it right away because I am never going to use it. If something doesn't look or smell right I toss it also.

Super Contributor

On 4/6/2014 willdob3 said:

It is individual choice. If you really don't want to use them get rid of them. But don't add more things to the stash. It is almost always self-defeating.

When I joined the ComPact group here I gathered everything up (that I could find! lol...) and threw out what had gone bad as well as what I did not care for and did not want to use.

The rest I kept & have been working on using up. I rarely buy anything unless I run out completely. I do not buy things to add to a stash. There will always be a great sale coming & there will always be newer, better products to try. I'll buy them when I actually need them.

This is great advice and I need to be better about following it. I've started making a wish list when I think I want something, so that when I run out, I can consult that list.

Super Contributor

I rarely just toss stuff. I tend to use up everything, especially skincare. I don't think I've had any powder products go bad, even after quite a few years. I still have the Smashbox Mega. Palette from over 3 years ago and it is fine. Skincare, body care, I use until they are gone, unless something really went wrong with it. I once had an eye cream that really dried my under eye area out and used it as cuticle cream, but it dried that out too so then I tossed it.
Super Contributor

Of course, I also agree that there is no reason to hoard, but I do like to use things up!
On 4/7/2014 CCBeauty said: I rarely just toss stuff. I tend to use up everything, especially skincare. I don't think I've had any powder products go bad, even after quite a few years. I still have the Smashbox Mega. Palette from over 3 years ago and it is fine. Skincare, body care, I use until they are gone, unless something really went wrong with it. I once had an eye cream that really dried my under eye area out and used it as cuticle cream, but it dried that out too so then I tossed it.