Honored Contributor

Re: What's the best "beauty" tip/advice you've ever gotten?

When I was young my parents once told me that beauty can be quickly snuffed out the minute that person of beauty talks with swear words. They said it ruins everything. I can't agree more.

Honored Contributor

ALL plastic surgeons will tell you that beyond moisturizing there is nothing that will prevent aging skin except a facelift. Sunscreen helps prevent skin cancer and sunspots but that is all it does. My dermatologist says moisturize daily - use any product you like - none is any better than any other and wear SPF 30 if your going to be out in the sun for more than 10min. I am very allergic to most sunscreens but I can get away with a  baby product called Baby Face as long as I don't use too much and don't leave it on too long. it's a zinc product so of course it makes my skin very white. 

I think there unscrupulous dermatologist who get kick backs for recommending products to their patients. When they recommend a product you should ask why that product is better for you than anything else, and see if they can come up with an answer right off. usually the products they suggest are rather expensive, and not available at the local drug store. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

This isn't actually a "beauty" tip....... But my mom taught me and my sister I that after getting ready you should stand in front of a full length mirror and look at yourself from head to toe. Be sure to turn around and look at the back of yourself too. Check for bumps and lumps in your clothes, etc. such a great tip. Sometimes I look at women and wonder "Did you look in a mirror today?" Thanks mom for the good advice. I miss you. ❤️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:

Wear sunglasses to protect the eyes from damaging rays and also to keep from squinting to prevent premature crows feet.  I am almost 50 and have very little aging around the eyes.

@NJgirl 1205  I am 61 in October and I have no signs of aging around my eyes either. I wear sunglasses on sunny days and cloudy days(. Two different tints of sunglasses). I also use sunscreen around my eyes and on my face 365 days a year rain or shine.  My neck also is smooth and line free thanks to sunscreen and really moisturizing my neck several times a day.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I was young my parents once told me that beauty can be quickly snuffed out the minute that person of beauty talks with swear words. They said it ruins everything. I can't agree more.

That's actually very sweet, @SilleeMeebut I guess I'll just have to live with my beauty being snuffed out. I find swearing to be highly beneficial. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A person can be mean as a wet hen and nasty as all get out without using swear words - it happens on this board every day. There are a lot worse things than swearing. 

Esteemed Contributor

A long long time ago, a professional makeup artist friend (who was working for ABC doing makeup for the daytime soaps when they were based in NYC), told me to ditch my black eyeliner for navy/dark blue.  At the time I wore glasses, and the idea was the navy would look softer behind the thick lense of my glasses. I'm going back to the 1970s and you golden oldies recall we didn't have super thin lenses in those days.  I wore glasses until a few years ago at which time I had corrective lenses implanted.  Even without the glasses, I'm still wearing the dark blue eyeliner. 

Another great piece of beauty advice was from a glamorous cousin who always wore a hat in the sun.  This lady wore hats with brims year round. My cousin's theory was preserve your face by wearing a hat.  Again, we're going back in time when there was no  sunscreen, so you had to work with what was available. I use sunscreen, but still wear a hat, and this old face is looking pretty well preserved tooWoman Very Happy.

Valued Contributor

For the Avon Lady story, great advice, great woman and great story!

Valued Contributor

I have always washed my make up off at night, been exfoliating in various ways for years, started moiturizinfg once mt skin stopped being oily and became adamanr about 30spf sunscreen every day about 30 years ago.  About 6 weeks ago my derm put me on Retin A and i already see improvement.  I just turned 65  and get compliments of my clear, unwrinkled  peaches and cream skin all the time!!!!!!