Valued Contributor

Re: What's the best "beauty" tip/advice you've ever gotten?

Pay attention to your eyebrows.  If they are sparse, it ages you.  Also, important to find a good brow product.

Trusted Contributor

When I was a 21 year old wife and mother of a 10 month old baby, my husband and I didn't have 2 dimes to rub together.  One afternoon, an Avon lady rang my doorbell; I invited her in.  She showed me their newest catalog, I perused it with oohs and ahs, but  apologized for keeping her and told her I didn't have a cent to spend on anything outside of our strict budget.

She asked me what I used to clean my face, I told her Ivory soap. She asked me what I used to moisturize my face.  I was getting impatient by then and told her again that I could not afford a thing and moisturized my face with any kind of lotion I had around the house; then, baby lotion.  I started walking to the door.  She stopped, opened her huge makeup bag and pulled out a bottle of cleanser, a bottle of moisturizer and a jar of eye cream.  She told me they were a good match for my skin type and gave me a quick tutorial.  I said, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave ma'am, I don't have any money!"

She said these 3 products were her gift to me; I only had to promise to use them faithfully.  If I did and saw a difference in my skin, she would come by in 3-4 months and sell me the items at 75% off.  She figured out how much money I would need to squirrel away each week to buy them at 75% off.  I thanked her and she left, promising she would not 'bother" me for the next few months.

I left the products on the table and went about my daily tasks.  That night, near bedtime, I picked up the products and thought, "what the heck" and began using them.  Within 3 weeks, I could tell a huge dfference in my skin!!  I finally told my husband about her visit and the deal she offered me.  He said we could start a change jar and see how much money we could come up with in the next couple of months.

When she rang my bell about 3-1/2 months later, I welcomed her in with open arms. She told me she could see a difference especially in the brightness of my skin.  She offered me her "deal", I happily gave her my "change" and she gave me a bag with the same three items and said she had to go.  When I looked in the bag, I found two tiny white tubes of lipstick too.  The same exchange occurred between us for the next 18 months and we became friends.  

My husband received a promotion which also involved a transfer.  I was sad to leave our city and very sad to move away from my Avon lady turned friend, Madeline.

I immediately found a new Avon lady in my new city and continue with the same regimen Madeline had started me on.  This time, with my husband's promotion, I proudly paid full price!

A few years later, we returned to visit some friends in our "old" city. I thought about Madeline and looked her up in the phone.book.  Her daughter answered the phone and in the course of our "chat", she mentioned her Mother had passed away quite  suddenly from a very aggressive type of pancreatic cancer.  She died about 6 months before my call.

What a long story!  I felt the need to share Madeline's grace and goodness.  My best beauty tips from her were.

1. it's never too early to begin good skin care.

2. cleanse, moisturize and use eye cream EVERYDAY and

MOST IMPORTANTLY, to always reach out when you see the chance.  It is better to give than to receive, you will always have a smile and every woman looks beautiful when she smiles.

Trusted Contributor

Wear sunglasses to protect the eyes from damaging rays and also to keep from squinting to prevent premature crows feet.  I am almost 50 and have very little aging around the eyes.

Super Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

When I was a 21 year old wife and mother of a 10 month old baby, my husband and I didn't have 2 dimes to rub together.  One afternoon, an Avon lady rang my doorbell; I invited her in.  She showed me their newest catalog, I perused it with oohs and ahs, but  apologized for keeping her and told her I didn't have a cent to spend on anything outside of our strict budget.

She asked me what I used to clean my face, I told her Ivory soap. She asked me what I used to moisturize my face.  I was getting impatient by then and told her again that I could not afford a thing and moisturized my face with any kind of lotion I had around the house; then, baby lotion.  I started walking to the door.  She stopped, opened her huge makeup bag and pulled out a bottle of cleanser, a bottle of moisturizer and a jar of eye cream.  She told me they were a good match for my skin type and gave me a quick tutorial.  I said, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave ma'am, I don't have any money!"

She said these 3 products were her gift to me; I only had to promise to use them faithfully.  If I did and saw a difference in my skin, she would come by in 3-4 months and sell me the items at 75% off.  She figured out how much money I would need to squirrel away each week to buy them at 75% off.  I thanked her and she left, promising she would not 'bother" me for the next few months.

I left the products on the table and went about my daily tasks.  That night, near bedtime, I picked up the products and thought, "what the heck" and began using them.  Within 3 weeks, I could tell a huge dfference in my skin!!  I finally told my husband about her visit and the deal she offered me.  He said we could start a change jar and see how much money we could come up with in the next couple of months.

When she rang my bell about 3-1/2 months later, I welcomed her in with open arms. She told me she could see a difference especially in the brightness of my skin.  She offered me her "deal", I happily gave her my "change" and she gave me a bag with the same three items and said she had to go.  When I looked in the bag, I found two tiny white tubes of lipstick too.  The same exchange occurred between us for the next 18 months and we became friends.  

My husband received a promotion which also involved a transfer.  I was sad to leave our city and very sad to move away from my Avon lady turned friend, Madeline.

I immediately found a new Avon lady in my new city and continue with the same regimen Madeline had started me on.  This time, with my husband's promotion, I proudly paid full price!

A few years later, we returned to visit some friends in our "old" city. I thought about Madeline and looked her up in the phone.book.  Her daughter answered the phone and in the course of our "chat", she mentioned her Mother had passed away quite  suddenly from a very aggressive type of pancreatic cancer.  She died about 6 months before my call.

What a long story!  I felt the need to share Madeline's grace and goodness.  My best beauty tips from her were.

1. it's never too early to begin good skin care.

2. cleanse, moisturize and use eye cream EVERYDAY and

MOST IMPORTANTLY, to always reach out when you see the chance.  It is better to give than to receive, you will always have a smile and every woman looks beautiful when she smiles.

What a nice story youngjude!  I hope you shared that story with her daughter. Thanks for sharing with us.

asltw

Honored Contributor

I started wearing sunscreen every day under my makeup when I was about 28.

I am now 64 and last year when I had my physical, my doctor asked if he could "ask me a personal question".  He wanted to know why I hadn't hardly change since he first started treating me!  He got me at about 30.  He said I looked like a very young 40!

It's the sunscreen!

Esteemed Contributor

From a plastic surgeon friend :  Don't trust the claims that any product can make you look younger

From a vendor in Atlantic City on the Boardwalk was I was in  my teens: Because of my coloring and eye color my best shade of eye shadow would always be mauve (lilac shades).  My eyes (green ) would be greener and my light skin would  be complimented.  That also was a suggestion for my lips, keeping it in the chocolate - wine shades.  

Valued Contributor

My plastic surgeon said serums and creams make you feel good but will not change the stucture. Nothing short of plastic surgery and injections are going to fill in lines and help the sagging. Save your money.

I had my eyes done two weeks ago. The first week was scary, the second week, oh boy, huge difference and my husband who didn't understand why says they look great.

I have a terrible turkey neck and used all the creams nothing was working;  had the neck lipo and it's better but still needs more help and the doctor is going to go back and remove more. So I can see what a fool I was thinking that cream was going to help when a session of lipo wasn't enough.

Respected Contributor

Clean your face, wear sunblock and moisturize your knees.

Valued Contributor

what a beautiful story , Your friend madeline was truly a beautiful friend and gave you more than beauty tips

cathy from ma.

Honored Contributor

My Mom telling me a lady should look pretty and natural, not like it took her an hour and a half to glob on tons of makeup and jam her hair into some unnatural shape, or to spray on so much perfume it gags people. People should look at you and see you - your eyes, your smile, not the gobs of makeup and hairspray.

I think this is partly why I don't color my hair - at my age it just looks so unnatural to me when a person has dark hair and no grey.