Honored Contributor

Re: What is with the obsession with white teeth ?

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

In the last decade a new trend has emerged : Americas obsession with porcelain white teeth. Don't get it... in the 60s 70s even 80s no one even cared about ones teeth color. Teeth naturally yellow with age. I refuse to get wrapped up into this craze. People are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on teeth whitening treatments. I find it ridiculous.

@Reever

Okay, I have to ask ....  were you born and raised in the United States ...  or somewhere else?   Years ago I went on a blind date as a favor to my boss.  Her friend's brother "was a nice guy" and they thought we would hit it off.  He was originally from England, supposedly handsome and educated, so I went.   He was nice enough but his teeth were crooked and very yellow ....   they were so distracting that it was difficult to even look at him!  I was suprised no one ever took him aside and suggested he see a dentist!   BTW, He wasn't a smoker and, trust me, his teeth didn't look "natural".

For anyone who cares about looking their best, taking care of their teeth is a given.  This isn't a "craze" that is new ... people have wanted healthy looking teeth for as long as I can remember.   Dingy, yellow teeth are just unattractive, and call into question the person's overall health.  You don't need to spend large amounts of money to whiten them, but since they are one of the first things people notice about you ..... why would you ever think it's okay to ignore oral health?

Honored Contributor

Since when does the color of ones teeth indicate their "oral health"? I am a tea drinker and so my teeth do not stay white for long, but they are perfectly healthy. They certainly aren't brown or stained but they are not chicklets either. Seems superficial to make judgenments about people based on the color of teeth.

Honored Contributor

I agree that some people take it too far, and it doesn't look natural.

I asked my dentist about it a few years ago. She said because of my coloring it wouldn't look natural on me. DD had hers whitened when she had her braces off, and DH also had his whitened on our dentist's recommendation. But DS is like me - he really would look strange with bright white teeth. Go figure! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  Blueberries and raspberries are a daily staple since they are rich in antioxidants. Very, very healthy for those of us with autoimmune diseases. But how they stain teeth! I also love tea, pickled beets, sweet potatoes, spices such as tumeric & cumin. All additional things that stain teeth. Yes, I brush after eating and my teeth are healthy. But, dang those healthy, colored foods do play havoc with the thin enamel. Learning to eat healthy has taught me to pay a price which no one warned me about! I'll take feeling better and no longer being bed-ridden any day. It enabled me to care for my mom for the past 14 years as a dementia patient. The was a reward I would never have passed up. Blessings to you and yours. I love your spirit!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I agree that some people take it too far, and it doesn't look natural.

I asked my dentist about it a few years ago. She said because of my coloring it wouldn't look natural on me. DD had hers whitened when she had her braces off, and DH also had his whitened on our dentist's recommendation. But DS is like me - he really would look strange with bright white teeth. Go figure! Smiley Happy

I can't remember where I read it, but the "rule of thumb" is to go no whiter than the whites of your eyes.

Super Contributor

What does everyone use and suggest to whiten their teeth? I’m planning to start whitening them now since the color is starting to bother me. I won’t go ultra white, just whiter than they are now. 

Respected Contributor

@Souperkrys wrote:

What does everyone use and suggest to whiten their teeth? I’m planning to start whitening them now since the color is starting to bother me. I won’t go ultra white, just whiter than they are now. 

@Souperkrys, many are going to have suggestions.  My opinion is that it depends on how badly your teeth are stained.  If they are really bad, your dentist can create trays and provide gel for you.  If they are moderately stained, you will probably do okay with an OTC product, and that is where suggestions will vary.  If you want to start with OTC products, I suggest Crest Whitestrips.  You can go to their website and read about the products.  I will say that I have sensitive teeth and could never comfortably use their strongest offerings.  After trying their different strips, I found no difference in whitening levels in their most expensive strip vs. their least expensive strip.  The reason why is that my teeth are naturally very white, so after whitening 2 or 3 levels, they were never going to get any whiter.  The very cheapest strip lightened them that much, so that is what I purchase.  As an aside, I have found that Wal-Mart's Equate version of the basic Crest Whitestrips works just as well as the name brand.  If you don't have sensitive teeth, you would probably be very happy with their stronger product.

Honored Contributor

I just use whiting toothpaste and my sonicare toothbrush every night.I drink a lot of tea so mine are far from white white but I think they look fine for my age. Too much whitening can really damage your tooth enamel. I always use a fluoride toothpaste in the mornings to combat this.

Honored Contributor

@Reever   Teeth should NOT be white like white paper.  It looks fake and silly especially if you are up in age because our teeth do fade in color.  Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Reever baahahaaa your post made me LOL.....they are not only white they seem to glow in the dark ..............O.O

-Do Not Copy Pls-