Honored Contributor

What is the longest period of time between going to the hair salon?

I have been growing out my hair  and it has been one year since getting it trimmed or cut at a salon.  My hair looks really healthy so I see no reason to have it shaped up at this time.  I tip the ends myself with hair sissors  every so often.  I  do not color anymore, rarely blow dry my hair or use hot appliances.  Mostly just wear it in a messy bun. My hair is now just past my shoulders. Pure white.   It is probably the healthiest it has ever been in my adult life as I always used  heat appliances daily and colored my hair  since I was in my 30's.  I quit coloring at age 58. 

Eventually I will go just to get a basic shape up.  But, I am really enjoying having longer hair that is not damaged or needing monthly trims etc that I use to spend $60.00 a month for. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the longest period of time between going to the hair salon?

I have to keep length at 4 weeks because of very thin hair, have to keep length certain or thiness comes raging thru.

Honored Contributor

47 years.    I have NEVER been happy with salon results.    I'd rather do it myself.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Since my hair is fine & a bit thinner, I go every 10-12 weeks.  I have had the same stylist since the mid 80's.  She has never given me a bad haircut & she charges $14.  I won't know what to do when she retires. CRY I think!

Respected Contributor

my hair is long layers and i go when the ends are too crispy for me. about  3 months.

i have gone 8 months or longer after a bad cut.  usually a bad cut was when i decided to chop off my hair after a break-up. or just because it was a heat wave and i got sick of long hair

Esteemed Contributor

I keep my hair short and tidy, so I need a trim about every 4 weeks.  I go to a barber, not a "salon."  No need for color or blow-dry or what-have-you.  Only a cut.

Chuckling with @CatsyCline -- honey, I've done the same thing.  Had a bad week?  Somebody make me mad?  well, I'll just chop off my hair myself - that'll cheer me up.   NOT!  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

When my hair was short - I had to go every four or five weeks.   Did that for 20+ years.

The guy I used to go to said about every six weeks while growing out - for shaping hair into new style.  Otherwise, my hair looked "raggy."  

The guy I switched to said every few months for shaping during the growing out stage.   It's a bit longer now and easy for me to style.

In reality - I go about every 2-3 months when I think I need it.   Little "snips" here and there I can do myself.

Honored Contributor

I go in every five weeks for root touch-up, and my stylist always trims my ends -- occasionally she'll do a tiny bit of layering in the back of my very curly, often bushy hair.

You said that you mostly wear your hair up, so you can probably get away without it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

8 weeks is the absolute longest I can go & that is really too long to extend my hair color. I go every 7 weeks, but ideally I should go every 6 weeks because I have too much grey! My hairdresser charges $175 for color & cut, plus a $25 tip...$200 is a chunk of change (for me, anyway) every 6 weeks, on top of my other beauty habits (waxing, mani, pedi, WEN, IT, Paula's Choice, etc.)! I try to stretch them all out as much as I can.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

for a cut/trim?.........two years.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein