Valued Contributor

What does baby grace smell like - really?

I really want to try baby grace but I am so afraid it will smell like baby powder. I really really do no like baby powder type fragrances!

Can someone clue me in? I am so sick of Philosophy presentations where they describe their fragrances as smelling like a "warm hug" etc etc. What does that even mean? Why can't they list the actual notes of the fragrance so I know what to expect?

I'm just scared of ordering it in fear of baby powder scent! Even light baby powder.

For reference the philosophy fragrances I do like are AG, PG, Field of Flowers, Summer - those are the ones I have smelled. The falling line is ok too - not my favorite but it is ok. I cannot stand Inner Grace or this other one they for some reason sent me a free full sized perfume of a couple of years ago - and I can't think of the name of it now off hand but it isn't even available on their website anymore - it came out about 2 years ago I think. It came in a tall bottle and was an amber color - very different from the other graces and it was horrible.

So with that info do you think I should give baby a try? I just ordered the TSV in pure and I was going to switch it to something else for the next shipment and I was trying to decide between baby and the old standby (AG).

Re: What does baby grace smell like - really?

I couldn’t agree with you more. What does a hug smell like.... they should describe the scent itself. 

Super Contributor

To me, it smells exactly like Desitin. Which I think is fitting since it’s called “Baby” Grace.
Honored Contributor

Floral.  Slightly musky, slightly powdery, slightly sweet.  More than slightly sweet.

I bought a bottle of the spritz several years ago because I wanted to know what a hug smelled like.

I still have that bottle.  Never bought more of that scent.  Still buy pure grace spritz, though.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, Baby Grace smells like a cross between baby powder and Vaseline....definitely not the fragrance I’d want to walk around in. I returned it years ago. FYI, I loved Inner Grace and wish they’d bring it back, but only if the fragrance lasted after I left the house....not going to happen.

Honored Contributor

I always thought Carlina (the founder) was a little “off”. She described the brand Philosophy as starting in a doctor’s office w/ lunchtime peels. So why the poetry and recipes for the gels on the bottles? I think she wrote the “words of kindness” on the fragrances....photos on packaging were of her daughter Grace. The entire concept didn’t make sense.

If anyway connected with derms or docs, the many parabens in some products would be eliminated. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I once purchased Baby Grace and it did not translate on me at all. For me, it was VERY floral, very sweet and very perfumey. It reminded me of their Field of Flowers scent. Nothing about it conjured up images of babies or warm hugs. It definitely doesn't have a powdery note to me, just straight floral. I sent it back. For a floral scent, I'll stick with Amazing Grace. 

That's just me though, everyone's body chemistry and taste in fragrance is different. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I always thought Carlina (the founder) was a little “off”. She described the brand Philosophy as starting in a doctor’s office w/ lunchtime peels. So why the poetry and recipes for the gels on the bottles? I think she wrote the “words of kindness” on the fragrances....photos on packaging were of her daughter Grace. The entire concept didn’t make sense.

If anyway connected with derms or docs, the many parabens in some products would be eliminated. 

@Shanus  Actually,  if you think about it,  the concept was brilliant and timed beautifully.  Also,  we are so much more into what is in our products now and most of these were introduced a very long time ago.  I get what you mean about "off"...   I just felt she was very quirky, artistic, and creative.  She combined effective products (back then, but not now with the changes made by the new owners...  shame),   with great packaging and fun ...   flavors, scent,  recipes,  in your shower or kitchen!  She got out at the right time.  She owned another company prior to Philosophy that sold to Drs offices.....   then made those products (with tweaks) available and marketed them brilliantly. 

Honored Contributor

I dont care for Baby Grace at all, it does remind me of Desitin.

Respected Contributor

This post is from 5 years ago........🤦🏻‍♀️