Respected Contributor

What Is the Best Way To Remove Polish?

I have a hard time removing polish, especially colored. It seems to just stay there. My nails are natural, and with clear polish, they look like I have a beautiful French manicure. I had chemo most of last year too, so they got dryer and a lot of ridges. So now use a clear ridge filler, that with chemo brain, can't remember the name of it. But anyway would use colored polish if I could get it off.

Don't usually post here, but you all are great, wonderful suggestions on all threads. TIA for any ideas.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

Re: What Is the Best Way To Remove Polish?

Are you using acetone or non-acetone remover? Non-acetone doesn't work as good, but is gentler on nails. ARe you using a base coat? My nails only stain when I don't use a base coat.

I hope everything is going better, healthwise.

Respected Contributor

Use an acetone remover that says 'moisturizing'. Here's hugs(((((()))))) from another chemo brain-gotta love us!

Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Kind12 said:

Are you using acetone or non-acetone remover? Non-acetone doesn't work as good, but is gentler on nails. ARe you using a base coat? My nails only stain when I don't use a base coat.

I hope everything is going better, healthwise.

...and a package of those 2-3" round cotton pads work great absorbing the remover and giving just enough resistance to remove the polish. A sleeve of those pads are generally $1-$2 so it's not a big investment but I live by the motto "proper tools for the proper job"

Paper toweling, toilet paper doesn't work as well.

Respected Contributor

Kind, hi to you.Smile I think I am using non acetone, so will switch to the other, and don't use a base coat, so that is why, I am sure.

My chemo is over, and I have some neuropathy ugh, from it, but no cancer. Yay!! LOL

Thanks for the help, have a great day.

mm

Respected Contributor

maestro

nantucket great idea will get those too.

mm

Valued Contributor

I just ordered some nail polish remover from HSN. Wow it is the best! I mean I have never had polish come off so easy! And it didn't leave my nails dry or anything. I had gel polish on too. It is Deborah Lippmann the Stripper Nail Lacquer Remover. #128-023. Best I have ever used!

Super Contributor

On 3/13/2014 henny said:

I just ordered some nail polish remover from HSN. Wow it is the best! I mean I have never had polish come off so easy! And it didn't leave my nails dry or anything. I had gel polish on too. It is Deborah Lippmann the Stripper Nail Lacquer Remover. #128-023. Best I have ever used!

Interesting! I've seen this but never thought it would be anything special. I do my own gel nails...I may check this out! Mama Mia - this Italian girl loves your name :-)
Respected Contributor

Wish I had a suggestion for you, but now that you mention chemo, which I had also, my ridges are horrible. I do buff them once in awhile but don't want them to get too thin. I found that using a base coat does help a little in removing nail polish. I think it may be Sally Hanson. Wishing you good health, chemo is horrible. Glad you are done.

Valued Contributor

Tips here on qvc makes an excellent remover that hydrates. Also I would recommend a base coat first that helps. Another base coat substitute I use is perfect formula gel coat, pink or clear. Polish comes off very easy with that under it. And the gel coat smooths out ridges!