Valued Contributor

Re: What I found out about Wen after years of using it.

I also use Wen and  color my hair wtth no problem covering gray roots.   I home color and use WEN Cucumber Aloe CC to clarify before coloring, as I use a lot of products (all Wen) and want to clear my hair of any residue.  My gray roots color beautifully.  Even if one chooses to use a different shampoo before coloring, why give up WEN altogether?  Just wash your hair the day you color it, if that's the only issue. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe its also the texture of your hair as well? My hairdresser says the texture matters  a lot when it comes to coloring. Also if its poruse or not. So if you have med. to course textured haired, then add on a hair products with conditioner formulas it will make the hair even more denser. So thicker textured hair becomes even heavier, 'thicker'.  My hairdressers also recommend a clarifying shampoo before with no conditioner or oil/moisturizing shampoos. many of them have done this.  Falsely assumed most women knew to use a claifier before coloring? My hair is fine & porous, it sucks coloring up and have been using  WEN for over an year.

Frequent Contributor

I've used WEN for many, many years.  My colorist (I no longer color) highlighted my ingrowing gray/white hair with several shades..  It blended with the outgrowth so nicely (she's really good, I must say).

One day I went in for a highlight/touch up and she sent me home because the WEN didn't change my highlighted hair and the outgrowth was barely noticeable.  Cool.  She told me I would we wasting my money.  I asked her if she needed some free time that day and she laughed and said "no".  

That was the beginning of letting my hair grow out to it's natural color-- white, and it's now long and color free.  I miss her but I like my natural hair color and WEN has helped, I believe, me not only make the transition to no coloring, but kept my hair healthy during the process and allowed me to grow long, healthy hair. 

She never had any trouble with my hair taking color.  What I've learned as the years go by, is our bodies change and we have to adjust.  We may need more moisture, or as I do, protein and moisture to keep my hair balanced.

Maybe it's your unique one of a kind self, as we all are.  I'm wondering if you called WEN customer service,( I have and they are helpful), and ask which CC is the most clarifying and take that with you to the salon, as well as your regular CC to use after the coloring.  That way you will still get the benefits.

The bottom line is, if this works for you and you and your hair are happy...that's the point.  

Best to you.

Regular Contributor

I'd look for a different hairdresser.  I have never had that problem, ever, and my hairdresser uses Wen on me and a couple other clients who bring the product to her.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe your hairdresser wants to charge you a little more and blames it on WEN!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @karuna! Something similar to your experience had happen with my hair and color saga.

I've been coloring my hair all my life. At first it was just to get some totally different color popular at the time. I was young!  Then at the later years, either changing it to a different shade, or covering forever growing out roots!

Finally, as grey hair started to visit me, it was, of course - covering the grey! With grey hair slowly buy surely coming in more, my choice in color was down to blending my still natural hair, with grey hair, with the new root growth, and hide it all in one "blend"!

When I first started to use WEN I was doing just that - blend via highlighting in Vital Sassoon Salon. i did not have ANY problems coloring my hair while using WEN.

Except I noticed, that my hair has more shine, more body and better color hues! It also looked considerably healthier, even being color treated.

As I continued with WEN also doing the scalp treatment WEN Oils, i started to notice a lot of improvement of my life-long color treated hair.

I was impressed and wanted more of the improvement to take place, so I did not want to do any additional damage to my hair, such as color or heat treatment. As much as I could help it!

I started to slack off on my regular hair color appointments and just let it go.... Then I noticed - my roots and my grey began to blend on their own!  Wow....

I stopped highlighting/coloring altogether about a year ago, and I my hair now looks just like I tried to achieve with chemical treatment before!  Except it's better.

My hair is ALL perfectly BLENDED, it has nice hues, nice shine. Yes, I have grey, but it looks exactly like "highlights" and without a doubt, my hair does look quite healthier without putting color or bleach chemicals in it.

Trusted Contributor

This is interesting.  I don't color my hair but I do feel like by hair has a silicone 'coating' after using Wen that could prevent color from soaking into the strands.  But I assume the ammonia in hair color could penetrate the silicone barrier.  Maybe it depends on the type of hair color used?

Frequent Contributor

My colorist told me (she highlighted my hair) that it didn't matter what I had in my hair before she started---I never used anything for styling other than WEN.

Yes, my hair feels smooth and silky too, but the WEN CC doesn't have silicone in it, the cuticle is sealed and feels very smooth?  

So I agree with you that maybe it's the type of color being used?  

But, for the OP, if she is happy with the clarifying prior to color, then I'm happy for her.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

I have used Wen since it first came to QVC. However, I have found a great shampoo for colored hair. The reason for not going back to Wen? My last two hairdressers never seemed to be able to saturate my gray roots with hair color. The owner of my present salon asked me what kind of shampoo I used and I said Wen. He told me they would have to clarify my hair each time before coloring my hair. Bingo! Now my grays are colored and my color lasts longer. Chaz Dean doesn't talk about this, but I bet if you get your hair colored at his salon he washes your hair first. My hairdresser said I can still use Wen, but I needed to wash my hair with a different shampoo, of my choice, to clarify my hair before I came in. I feel bad now because I used to blame my previous hairdresser for not getting the color right. I finally just switched my shampoo and my hair feels cleaner and I am losing less strands in the shower. Amazing! The shampoo I use is R and Co gemstone.

Yes, I posted this on someone else's comments so I don't need the board police to tell me so.  I want this to be seen by more people in case anyone is still having problems with their hair color.  

Only Wen CCs are used in the salon. Chaz abhors shampoo.

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Frequent Contributor

How cool we had similar experiences!  Smiley Happy  I'm so glad the growing out process was easier for you too.