Esteemed Contributor

More than 200 women have joined a class-action lawsuit against the popular WEN all-natural hair products, claiming the sulfate-free shampoo and conditioners made their hair fall out.

Created by celebrity stylist Chaz Dean, WEN hair products are boosted as a natural alternative to regular shampoos. The products clean hair without using damaging sulfates, a chemical compound used to separate dirt and oil from hair or skin, and according to the product’s website, “It takes the place of your shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner.”

Unfortunately, according to a large number of women from multiple U.S. states, the only results they saw from using WEN products was severe hair loss. BuzzFeed News reported that one user noticed hair loss after just one wash. In addition to hair loss, many women claim that WEN products have caused multiple injuries to their head and scalp, such as rashes, scalp irritation, hair breakage, and hair discoloration. One angry customer claimed that she had to quit her job as a professional model after she started using WEN products. “After using this product my scalp and face broke out in boils and my hair fell out in chunks.This shampoo destroyed my life,” she wrote on a product review, as reported by The Daily Beast.

Recommended for you: 2015 Best Skin Tighteners | SkinCare-Research.org
SkinCare-Research.org/FaceLifting | Sponsored

According to the court papers, the company was aware of the unpleasant side effect and still failed to warn users. And although it’s true that many WEN users are happy with their results and praise the products, a simple peruse of Amazon will show that a large amount of users also complained that the hair products caused them to lose large volumes of hair dating back many years. According to Kelsey Smart, a stylist at Fox & Jane salon in New York the reason for the mixed reviews may have to do with WEN’s effect on different hair types.

“WEN seems to be good for certain hair types, especially those that are coarse or frizzy,” Smart, told The Daily Beast. “But for women with fine hair, it becomes more important for the scalp to stay really clean — otherwise, product can build up and lead to breakage.”

In response to the claims and the lawsuit, Joe Hixson, a spokesperson for Wen told BuzzFeed News that the complaints only represent a small fraction of its customers. “[We] intend to vigorously contest the allegations made against our products,” said Hixson.

Unfortunately, baldness in women is a complicated health issue, which means it could be difficult to prove in court that WEN definitely led to these women’s hair loss. WebMD claims that everything from genetics to certain medications can lead to female hair loss. Nonetheless, a lawyer for the plaintiff told The Daily Beast that at the moment, the parties are attempting to settle their differences outside of court.

Respected Contributor

There was so much TV coverage on this yesterday.  On one channel they had a woman who looked at the ingredients and she said there are ingredients that definitely could cause burning and irritation of the scalp in some of his products.  I thought Wen was "all natural". 

Valued Contributor

Enough already!

Respected Contributor

@Nunyabisinis wrote:

Enough already!

I agree @IMissSuperPoke.  I honestly believe this has become a cruel game for the Wen and Chaz haters.  Bebe777's post was dead on and I didn't pay attention to it.  I will now though.  I'm done indulging these people by commenting on their posts.

Valued Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Nunyabisinis wrote:

Enough already!

I agree @IMissSuperPoke.  I honestly believe this has become a cruel game for the Wen and Chaz haters.  Bebe777's post was dead on and I didn't pay attention to it.  I will now though.  I'm done indulging these people by commenting on their posts.

Agree no feeding the WEN hate. I could talk forever about the amazing things it has done for my hair, very few words (if any) about the problems with it. 

Super Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Nunyabisinis wrote:

Enough already!

I had no idea this was aired on TV... I just stumbled accross an article and came here to learn if anyone else has had issuses with the product. I'm not a hater, I love Chaz and been using WEN since 2011. I have 2 gallon bottles in my shower. BUT I have to admit I've haven't gotten the results like the QVC models; but stuck with the product because its "all natural". I've been having hair loss, tinning and breakage; and was wondering why my hair felt better after I left my stylist. I was only seeing him once every two months because he WOULDN'T use the WEN. The Tea Tree gave my scalp a burning rash so I stopped using it and gave it away. In any case, I'm switching to Nick Chavez for a while to see if I notice a difference.

Honored Contributor

@RU4 real wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Nunyabisinis wrote:

Enough already!

I had no idea this was aired on TV... I just stumbled accross an article and came here to learn if anyone else has had issuses with the product. I'm not a hater, I love Chaz and been using WEN since 2011. I have 2 gallon bottles in my shower. BUT I have to admit I've haven't gotten the results like the QVC models; but stuck with the product because its "all natural". I've been having hair loss, tinning and breakage; and was wondering why my hair felt better after I left my stylist. I was only seeing him once every two months because he WOULDN'T use the WEN. The Tea Tree gave my scalp a burning rash so I stopped using it and gave it away. In any case, I'm switching to Nick Chavez for a while to see if I notice a difference.

BINGO!  ~tee hee ~  And there's the 'tell'.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Why does there have to 1000  threads on the same subject. If you do a search before creating a new thread you will see they are all over. gets on my nerves

Respected Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Nunyabisinis wrote:

Enough already!

Noone is playing games and it has nothing to do woth being a hater. it is people do not pay attention and see there are already a billion threads on this already

Trusted Contributor
http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2015/12/15/chaz-dean-wen-hair-care-sued-for-severe-hair-loss/?... interesting comments from an Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology ....such as "....In the grand scheme of things, 200 people is not that many. If you look at how many product sales that they probably have, I suspect it’s just a drop in the bucket,” she said. “I really think what they’re going to find is just a vast majority of these are coincidence and mainly caused by hair loss that’s unrelated to the product.” and "...here were pictures of women who have typical female pattern hair loss. There were also pictures of people with alopecia areata, which is an autoimmune form of hair loss.” and "There would have to be some sort of link between one or more of the ingredients in particular. We don’t know this for sure, but most of the products listed are generally-accepted safe. Most are just standard ingredients,” she explains. “There are a lot of natural ingredients and so, is there a chance that someone could develop a contact dermatitis to one of the plant-based products? Possible.”
live....laugh....love