Highlighted
N/A

Wen and Hair Loss

I know there are a lot of posts on this, but I wanted to bring this to the forefront again. First and foremost I do not have any medical issues and I'm in good health.

I have been using WEN for about 6-9 months. The first 3 months my hair was great, things were awesome, I loved it and wrote glowing reviews. In the last 6 months, I have lost an increasing amount of hair. This past Wednesday will be the last day I use WEN for a long while, maybe forever. I have 2 bald spots, not significant, about the size of a dime/nickel. I say they aren't significant because I have thick, full, naturally curly hair, it will cover for me when it's dry. I was loyal. I even brought it to my stylist when he cut my hair, he said I lost a little more hair compared to usual, but nothing too significant. Again, my curls hide and cover a lot of unsavory things.

I'm looking up to getting this resolved, but given the multiple hair types I'm seeing that people say they have in these posts, it's disheartening that this is happening to so many. I would love for Chaz to mention this or maybe figure out why.

I'm going back to my TreSemme for curly hair. Sorry Chaz, I don't want to be bald by 40.

New Contributor

Re: Wen and Hair Loss

I was googling about WEN today when I stumbled upon these posts. I have been using for over a year because it really makes your hair feel soft and manageable....however, I am losing so much hair it is all over my house and becoming noticeable that hair is thinning. This happened before and I switched to a natural shampoo and the hair loss stopped...but I went back to WEN because I really like the feel of my hair and my hair was becoming very dry/damaged. Well the same story is repeating, my hair is now falling out again. I guess WEN is good and bad. Good on the hair, bad on the scalp for some of us...many of us. I really wish Chaz would respond to this, at least acknowledge their may be an issue. Would be nice if he came up with a hypoallergenic formula...one without the menthol. I do believe it may be the menthol. Also would love this to have a coconut/vanilla fragrance. One can dream.

N/A

I just got back from my stylist and she asked if I had been doing anything different since I saw her last because I had lost a SIGNIFICANT amount of hair in only 6 weeks. The only thing I'd done differently was started on Wen about 2.5 weeks ago. My hair has thinned in the back to the point I can't pull it back without my scalp showing. I am so traumatized and have to start on a treatment ASAP to hopefully get it to grow back. I know Wen works for a lot of people but it certainly didn't work for me and the reports of significant hair loss are very real.
Frequent Contributor

I used WEN for a couple of months and was liking it until I started having hair loss. Stopped using WEN and hair loss stopped. I gave a bottle to my hairdresser to use. She liked it at first but said it built up in her hair and she was not impressed. I have also read about a lot of people having clogged drains from WEN.

Valued Contributor

Is there an upcoming TSV or something?

Contributor

I have posted about WEN many times before, so if you've read this, I apologize.

I was first introduced to Chaz Dean, and WEN, through the program "Flipping Out" on HGTV.

Chaz Dean's home was one of those profiled while undergoing renovation.

At the home, there were several episodes that featured a woman who lived in his backyard. He let her live there, and called her "Spirit". She never bathed, and foraged for her food through trash-bins on the neighborhood's streets. Chaz Dean seemed very proud of the fact that she could exist as a "free spirit", and he never tried to help her. Obviously, she also never washed her hair. This "free spirit" made the star of the TV show mad, because she used the backyard as a bathroom....it was later learned, through updates on the show, that Chaz Dean's "Spirit" was found dead on his property in the bushes. This post seems OT...but, would YOU buy cleansing-type products from a man like this?

Respected Contributor

A few comments from an "old head".

1. If I was using anything consistently that seemed to be a possible reason for my hair falling out, I wouldn't have to be hit with a brick to know what might be the cause.

2. As I've grown older, my hair isn't falling out, but seems thinner now that it's white. I've been through two bottles of Keranique Shampoo and Keranique Conditioner. There is a definite improvement in the thickness of my hair after about four months.

3. I have noticed that Pantene now has a shampoo/conditioner that contains 2% Minoxidil. I plan to try that when my Keranique runs out. Keranique contains 4% Minoxidil. I haven't had any side effects from the Minoxidil. The products leave my hair in great condition - no complaints. I just thought I'd try the Pantene next time.

4. After all the posts on this forum about hair loss when using Wen I'd be very reluctant to try it. Some of you say you're taking a break from WEN and going back to it later. Does it make sense to anyone to be bitten by the same dog twice? And speaking of dogs, why would you ever consider using it on your beloved pets, to say nothing of using it on your children?

5. Suggestions that Chaz might not know and would change his formulations if he did are ridiculous. You can bet he knows. I understand there are lawsuits. He's become a very rich man? from pushing this product. Sure he knows, and he's not going to change a thing as long as the big bucks keep rolling in.

6. Can someone please explain to me the cult following this guy has? It escapes me. Seems to me it's the person people are hung up on, rather than the product.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/5/2014 carmela soprano said:

I have posted about WEN many times before, so if you've read this, I apologize.

I was first introduced to Chaz Dean, and WEN, through the program "Flipping Out" on HGTV.

Chaz Dean's home was one of those profiled while undergoing renovation.

At the home, there were several episodes that featured a woman who lived in his backyard. He let her live there, and called her "Spirit". She never bathed, and foraged for her food through trash-bins on the neighborhood's streets. Chaz Dean seemed very proud of the fact that she could exist as a "free spirit", and he never tried to help her. Obviously, she also never washed her hair. This "free spirit" made the star of the TV show mad, because she used the backyard as a bathroom....it was later learned, through updates on the show, that Chaz Dean's "Spirit" was found dead on his property in the bushes. This post seems OT...but, would YOU buy cleansing-type products from a man like this?

Your information is wrong several levels. The true facts as to why Chaz allowed Spirit to remain on his property and the care and support he and his staff offered her is easily found online. If anything, Chaz Dean is exactly the type of person I would go out of my way to support with my business. Not only because of his compassion toward Spirit, but also his hands on and charitable involvement with several organizations and causes.

Super Contributor

What I don't understand about some of the claims in this thread- why would you continue to use a product that you claim you had an immediate reaction to, such as burning and boils on your head and neck?

If you applied a foundation or moisturizer to your face and it caused a painful burning and boils after the initial application, would you continue to use it a 2nd time, much less for months on end? I certainly wouldn't.

I guess I just don't get the thinking behind the action.

I do honestly believe that some of you did experience a reaction to the product and I do feel sorry that you lost hair. I get it- its devastating. I am losing some hair, but its male pattern thinning due to me having PCOS, but I get where you are coming from.

Super Contributor

Everyone sheds hair a few times a year. Sometimes it can seem like a lot of hair is lost.Then

it stops again for a while and starts up again at another time.Thats why you think the WEN is

doing it and that it stopped when you stopped using WEN.It really is just a coincidence.

I think sometimes some of us panic think they are loosing their hair from using WEN ,when

it is only the normal shedding period that everyone goes through.

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2015 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View