Honored Contributor

Wanted: Lip Gloss with good color saturation & staying power

I suffer from habitually dry lips any more and I can't seem to wear lipstick as I suffer from little flakes, etc. which makes lipstick application look horrible!

Is there a brand of lip gloss that has a good amount of color saturation and staying power?

I find a pretty color of gloss, put it on --- and I see ---- nothing!!!  It looks like clear gloss on me!!!

Also, after a few minutes -- it disappears from my lips!

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Wanted: Lip Gloss with good color saturation & staying power

@AngelPuppy1, I was just wondering this yesterday myself. Good question, let's hope you get lots of responses

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I suffer from habitually dry lips any more and I can't seem to wear lipstick as I suffer from little flakes, etc. which makes lipstick application look horrible!

Is there a brand of lip gloss that has a good amount of color saturation and staying power?

I find a pretty color of gloss, put it on --- and I see ---- nothing!!!  It looks like clear gloss on me!!!

@AngelPuppy1  Have you ever tried doing a mild exfoliation on your lips?  That really helps, along with keeping them hydrated all the time when you aren't wearing lipstick, and then choosing a non-drying lip color, of course.  Skinn Sugar Lips is really good for exfoliating your lips because it has lip conditioning ingredients too, but you could probably accomplish close to the same experience with some coconut oil and fine granulated sugar.  All you do is rub a little on dry lips and then remove with a damp cloth. For your actual color, Skinn Caviar Lip Cream is creamy and very highly pigmented (opaque), yet has a wand applicator and goes on like a gloss.  There's a set of mini's on Evine right now where you could try out different colors.  IT Cosmetics has Vitality Lip Butter Gloss which is an all in one product of richer pigments and a gloss together, but not as opaque as the Skinn Caviar Lip Cream.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  Have you ever tried doing a mild exfoliation on your lips?  That really helps, keeping them hydrated all the time when you aren't wearing lipstick, and then choosing a non-drying lip color, of course.  Skinn Sugar Lips is really good for exfoliating your lips because it has lip conditioning ingredients too, but you could probably accomplish close to the same experience with some coconut oil and fine granulated sugar.  All you do is rub a little on dry lips and then remove with a damp cloth. For your actual color, Skinn Caviar Lip Cream is creamy and very highly pigmented (opaque), yet has a wand applicator and goes on like a gloss.  There's a set of mini's on Evine right now where you could try out different colors.  IT Cosmetics has Vitality Lip Butter Gloss which is an all in one product of richer pigments and a gloss together, but not as opaque as the Skinn Caviar Lip Cream.

Excellent advice given by @JeanLouiseFinch.   You also want to protect the skin barrier on your lips.  I know it is often villified but truly good ol' Vaseline is awesome for this.  It is not toxic nor comedogenic as is erroneously claimed.  

As as for a heavily pigmented gloss - I just rediscovered Mally for this.  I had one in a drawer I must have put aside from a kit.  I grabbed it the other day in a rush to an appt.  the color was not right for me but I thought, "hey, it's just a gloss".  WRONG!  Omg, my lips stayed bright pink throughout my DD's hour long MRI.  When she emerged she gave me a big ol' double take and said I may want to try another lipstick.  She was so right.  They really were bright and no fading.  Not a great look on a fair skinned redhead.  Had to work to remove it.  

Respected Contributor

I'm a fan of Nars lip gloss or IT Cosmetics Stain Gloss, both are hydrating and have some staying power!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I'm a fan of Nars lip gloss or IT Cosmetics Stain Gloss, both are hydrating and have some staying power!

@Jacie, oh yeah, gotta love Nars!  Forgot about that which is odd since there is always one in the car console.

Honored Contributor

I actually have TRULY messed up lips, and I can't SURVIVE without Neutrogena MoistureSooth Color Sticks.

They serve as lipstick AND lipgloss, come in LOTS of colors, and really do last for a good long while considering what they are.

My lips crack and peel if I use anything the slightest bit strong, and these feel WONDERFUL, very healing.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I actually have TRULY messed up lips, and I can't SURVIVE without Neutrogena MoistureSooth Color Sticks.

They serve as lipstick AND lipgloss, come in LOTS of colors, and really do last for a good long while considering what they are.

My lips crack and peel if I use anything the slightest bit strong, and these feel WONDERFUL, very healing.

@violann  Are these the ones in the little black oval tube?  I have one in a pinkish shade.  I don't use it regularly, but it's with my supply of lip things so I'll grab it now and then.  I don't have any complaints per se, but I don't recall how long it lasts.  I'll have to try again and pay closer attention.  

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

I agree with @violann about Neutrogena lip products.  I have never been disappointed with any of their lip products that I have purchased.  I always purchase the revitalizing lip balm and have also used the color sticks and moisture shine lip soother.  They are all great products and very reasonably priced.  

Honored Contributor

Hi JeanLouiseFinch- the Lip Smoothers are in a colored plastic tube with a chrome base. Not too sure which one you have,

I've also tried the Burts Bees Lip Crayons- they don't irritate my lips but they are dryer and waxy.

I've tried a LOT in my time-old woodwind player!