Contributor

Walgreens to Shut Down Drugstore.com and Beauty.com

Hey beauties,

The company that I work for is a vendor for drugstore.com. I just received a

letter from their corporate dept. stating that Walgreen's has decided to shutdown

drugstore.com and beauty.com effective September 30, 2016.

I'm really surprised about this. I know that there are  some ladies on this board that

buy some beauty products from these sites and wanted to pass along this information.

Honored Contributor

Re: Walgreens to Shut Down Drugstore.com and Beauty.com

I will pass this on, much appreciated!

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize Walgreens owned drugstore.com and beauty.com - I know they carry lots of Walgreens items and deliver to Walgreens as an option as well. But I thought of it as more of a joint partnership than anything else.

Honored Contributor

I wonder how many people will lose their jobs because of this. Sad days ahead for them.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's a huge bummer.

Here's some more information about the upcoming shutdown: http://www.geekwire.com/2016/walgreens-shut-drugstore-com-4-years-429m-acquisition/

Honored Contributor

Oh wow!!! Beauty.com was starting to carry more and more vendors and wow.... how sad. I order a LOT from drugstore.com.

I am going to miss them. : (

Trusted Contributor

Walgreens says they are shutting down drugstore.com to concentrate on their own web site.   This seems like a case of them buying out their competition to increase their own market share (not unusual in the business world).  It doesn't mean that products won't be available in the future unless, of course, they are poor sellers. 

Super Contributor

I have ordered from Drugstore.com since they first launched their website.  I had a feeling that once Walgreens purchased drugstore.com it was the beginning of the end for them.  Sad, before we know it there will be just a few choices remaining...I am not a fan of Walgreens.

Honored Contributor

NOOOOOOOOOO! SAY IT AIN'T SO

Sorry about that, but I'm so bummed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I can see closing down drugstore.com, which can probably easily mesh with Walgreens.com, but what about beauty.com? Is Walgreen's going to carry upscale brands?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland