Respected Contributor

WHY do people write reviews like this?

The ones I am talking about are for beauty products that have stated times needed before results are seen.

For example, I purchased a I Grow hair device for my husband to use.  I have gone and read reviews a few times.

Some post things like they KNOW it is too soon, but they give x amount of stars not even KNOWING.

Others don't use it for the recommended time for results (like 16 weeks) and post negative reviews earlier.  Do then not listen to how long the product takes?  They said SOME people may see results a little sooner, but you must give it time.  It is not an instant gratification product.

I am astounded at the ignorance shown when I read reviews!

Hyacinth     Cat Frustrated

Valued Contributor

Re: WHY do people write reviews like this?

It took me 2 years of taking Healthy, Hair and Nail vitamins from Lessman before I saw excellent results and had people giving me compliments.

Frequent Contributor

Speaking of reviews... I feel like I have been misled. I ordered the new product Hummingbird Farms Heavy Cream. It has all 5 star reviews. After I ordered I went back and read the reviews. I tnink 9 of the 12 reviewers were first time reviewers. Seems like the reviews were planted?? 

Valued Contributor

I've seen a review on a compact of Mally's that was sealed (they very rarely seal up her makeup) and someone wrote a review they couldn't get it open and rated her low. They didn't know it was sealed, it was hard to see I remember because I bought the kit it was in. & On the Emjoi hair removal device, one person wrote that it didn't grab a single hair which makes me wonder if they took the clear cap off?

@skincarejunkie I agree some good reviews look planted. There was a kitchen item I was looking at on clearance and three reviews in a row used "substantial" to describe it and not much else said. Seems too coincidental. Hmmmm...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003I agree totally. I know the Q says they like the reviews and use them to change a product for the better, or weed out the duds. But how is that even possible with bogus reviews, or ineffective reviews. I find it highly unlikely that some reviews of products that were never previously released, not sold elsewhere, etc can have a review already on the site.  I get so incensed when I see those.

I really recommend that QVC take a page out of the H network where they make sure you have received the product, and have had time to try it, I think it is five days or so before you can post a review.  This includes all items. But, in the case of the hairmax or the facial toner machine, you should have to wait at least of the return period (or close to it) before being able to post a review.  If a product takes that long to see results, why would the Q allow reviews to be posted sooner? It makes no sense. A blouse, shoes, mascara, or something similar would like be washed or worn, tried on within 5 days and a person has determined that they will keep (or return) the product.

Also, reviews that just say "LOVE IT!" are a waste and should be deleted, or the same with "DID NOT WORK".  Please require explanations to why a product is defective, or not.  Maybe even provide boxes to check so at least there is more information to provide without having to type it all out.  Was it a color issue? A size issue? Quality issue, and if so what was the problem? Cost vs product, etc.

Respected Contributor

I saw a 5-star review yesterday of a brand-new product that hasn't even shipped yet...and won't for another couple of weeks! They went on and on about how well it worked and how good it smelled, and it was the best one yet. How do they know?

Also, when you review something that has multiple options (particularly in scent), please tell us which scent you are raving/ranting about. When review clothinging, your body type and/or size would be helpful, too.

Posted this before, but some of my particular favorites are reviews that say "this doesn't work, it's junk, not worth the money, it's cr@p, don't buy it", but all the reviews around it are 4 and 5 stars! I know not everything works for everybody, but in that case...maybe it's not the product/item, maybe it's you?

Esteemed Contributor

OMG - I feel the same way! Don't write a review until you've had ample time to try (and gain an opinion). Or someone who has never worn a garment and says they don't know how it will hold up. Well duh!!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree - and it's not just QVC reviews.  Shoppers need to own/wear/use a product for long period of time before reviewing it.   Case in point:  I bought a shirt from QVC and loved it immediately.  I wrote a glowing, 5-star review after wearing it once.   Then, I washed that shirt.  It shrank 2 sizes and one of the shoulder seams ripped out.  I returned it for refund and tried to change my review.  The QVC system won't let us change a review once written.  So even tho the shirt fell apart and shrank within a week, my 5-star review remains on the website.  Lesson learned.

This would be especially true for beauty products -- use it a couple months before writing a review.  A product you hated the first time you used it might be one of your favorites after continued use.  Who knows?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

The reviews do not indicate whether the people submitting them purchased the product through QVC (which is done by some on-line retailers).   I would like a "verified purchase" notation. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

We purchase the $400.00 Swagway from Evine.

I read the ONLY review, after the fact, and a woman stated that she hadn't given it to her grandson yet so she couldn't comment and then proceeded to give it 1 star!

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen people reviewing prior to actually using the product.

HSN, though flawed in some respects, has it right when they first, make you wait to review, and, don't let you review if you haven't purchased the product.

Unfortunately they don't let you review it if you send it back either which clearly defeats the idea of getting a complete picture from those that have purchased.

As for the Swagway it's great!