Regular Contributor
On 9/17/2014 golfcartrider said:

OK Girls, I asked my hair dresser about WEN and she said, do not use it. She told me why but I want opinions here.

Why and what is the difference between WEN products and Nick Chavez products and can one person use both?

I have been using Wen for 3 years. I go to an amazing salon and previously only used Pureology and Redken products.... My stylist would recommend them for me. I started using Wen and brought it with me to my appointments. My stylist is amazed and honestly my hair has never been better. She told me to keep using it even though I'm sure it means no more cut from the products she once sold me. My hair is long, curly and quite thick. I used to heavily highlight it. It was damaged but Wen has helped it come back to life. I still highlight but my hair is shiny soft and long. OH and did I mention I'm 50 with the hair of a 20 year old? Wen may not work for everyone but it has been amazing for me. LOL if someone told me NOT to do something it would annoy me and if they had never tried the product that would bring up some red flags. You wont know until you try it and use it for a couple of months. When I think of all the product I used to buy! Not anymore! Good Luck! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

I’ve tried both. I've always had healthy, easy-to-manage hair, so I’ve never needed any special products, but I exercise daily and therefore I must wash my hair daily. Chavez products were fine, but they weren’t anything uber special. I liked them and used them up but never bought more because my hair looks great with much less expensive shampoos and conditioners. I tried Wen and hated it. For me, it made my straight, fine hair flatter and appear thinner than normal and also dried it out terribly. (I’ve since learned that all sulfate-free hair products make my hair look dry and awful.) But the two deal breakers for me were: the Wen scents (I despise all heavily perfumed products) and the excessive water waste. As someone who cares deeply about the environment, I could not imagine using, on a daily basis, the vast amounts of water needed to get Wen out of my hair.

That said ... everybody's hair is different, so if you're curious, you'll need to try both product lines to see if either works well for you.

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 Jacie said:

I am always leery of any "celebrity" who is hawking a product! Chaz Dean is no exception. His "story" is just that, his. You either buy it or not. My personal feeling is that his story is too expensive and doesn't make his hair look all that great. Because of that, I'm out!

I was under the impression that he was and still is a hair stylist, not a celebrity.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I use WEN, but only because the TSVs make it affordable. I've used Nick Chavez as well and haven't tried his newer items, but when he brought his #2 hair line for Moisture vs. #1 for hair plumping, I'd order. This was some time back. I still have some hair brushes that came in kits and loved a Smoothing and Straightening kit he came out with some time ago that actually flattened my hair, and some straighteners can't do that! When I lost my hair, I used his hair repair serum and anti-breakage spray to help my spikes keep growing. I'm not big on buying single items from the Q due to price or I would have tried the newer spray. I think they both are interesting men and think both come across as fun to meet in person.

I wouldn't have kept using WEN if I hadn't tried the discovery set, as despite them being for all hair types, I need Fig and Tea Tree and can't use the universals. I have coarse, colored hair on the thick (out-of-control) side, and need all the moisture my hair can get. My hair's less poofy when I stick with WEN and easier to control. Prior to this I used a non-sulfate shampoo and Saxy(won't let me use the word) Hair conditioner for either colored or smoothing, though I haven't tried it since they divided the washing products coarse and regular. I'd use something by Nick if it was something I thought would work for my hair and still watch his shows, and may buy my Mom some of Nick's as she really liked how it gave her hair volume (an old Plump and Thick-type kit). We all want nice hair, it's just a matter of what works best for each of us.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/18/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 9/18/2014 Jacie said:

I am always leery of any "celebrity" who is hawking a product! Chaz Dean is no exception. His "story" is just that, his. You either buy it or not. My personal feeling is that his story is too expensive and doesn't make his hair look all that great. Because of that, I'm out!

I was under the impression that he was and still is a hair stylist, not a celebrity.

He is a hair stylist....when he's not traveling he is in the salon Thursday, Friday & Saturday doing hair...he posts pics on social media of before & afters, he posts videos of consultations with new clients....clearly some (not you SuzyQ) doesn't know who Chaz Dean really is in person...

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor
On 9/18/2014 bruingirl said:

He is a hair stylist....when he's not traveling he is in the salon Thursday, Friday & Saturday doing hair...he posts pics on social media of before & afters, he posts videos of consultations with new clients....clearly someone (not you SuzyQ) doesn't know who Chaz Dean really is in person...

Thanks, bruingirl! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/18/2014 Karena said:

He is a hair stylist....when he's not traveling he is in the salon Thursday, Friday & Saturday doing hair...he posts pics on social media of before & afters, he posts videos of consultations with new clients....clearly someone (not you SuzyQ) doesn't know who Chaz Dean really is in person...

Another thanks, bg!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor
On 9/18/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Another thanks, bg!

You're welcome Karena and HB!

live....laugh....love
Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Another thanks, bg!

You're welcome Karena and HB!

Thanks from me too bruni! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

He is an an amazing & hardworking person.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 9/18/2014 Jacie said:

He is a hair stylist....when he's not traveling he is in the salon Thursday, Friday & Saturday doing hair...he posts pics on social media of before & afters, he posts videos of consultations with new clients....clearly some (not you SuzyQ) doesn't know who Chaz Dean really is in person...

Hi, bruingirl. Yes, I knew that. Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland