Respected Contributor

Using bees to produce beauty products.

[ Edited ]

I'm watching that presentation for Beenigma.  My mind is wandering but does using bees to produce these products bother anyone?  I think it's an invasion to their environment. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Re: Using bees to produce beauty products.

So how do you feel about honey? :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

TOTALLY AGREE .....HAD THE SAME THOUGHT. Our world is in enough trouble losing bees....now we're killing them for their venom to look younger? AS BAD OR WORSE THAN ANIMAL TESTING!

Honored Contributor

Not something that occurred to me -  and I'm not sure it should.  Nothing much gets produced without having an effect somewhere else.

I suppose all our skincare could be concocted from something synthetic, but that has all its own effects and I don't like to think of what they are!  No, I'm not going to worry about invading the bee's environment -  unless using the bees for skincare means we can't have bees to encourage food production for our bourgeoning world population.

Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

I'm watching that presentation for Beenigma.  My mind is wandering but does using bees to produce these products bother anyone?  I think it's an invasion to their environment. 

@Karnerblue Can you expand on this a little more? Are they actually killing bees to make the products? This is different than harvesting honey, which doesn't kill the bees. I have been having some trouble trying to really understand what bee propolis is and how it affects the bees.

Trusted Contributor

Here is what an article in Prevention had to say about venom collection:

Beekeepers start with fabric-covered plates that have conductor wires stretched flat across them. When a bee lands on the plate, the wires deliver a mild electric current that agitates the bee just enough to make it sting, causing the venom to drop onto the plate. Since the fabric on the plate is very thin, it doesn’t trap the stinger the way plastic or rubber used to do, leaving the bee free to fly away unharmed.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze I'm not really sure how they were getting the venom.  My concerns were how they would extract the venom without harming them.  But I see @ElvisShops has been kind enough to provide that explanation.  But it still bothers me.  I wish they (the bees) could be left alone in their environment to do what they do best.  Silly, I know.  I let little things get to me that others laugh at.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@HappyDaze I'm not really sure how they were getting the venom.  My concerns were how they would extract the venom without harming them.  But I see @ElvisShops has been kind enough to provide that explanation.  But it still bothers me.  I wish they (the bees) could be left alone in their environment to do what they do best.  Silly, I know.  I let little things get to me that others laugh at.

@Karnerblue Others can laugh all they want but you caring about other living things says a lot about your character and I, for one, appreciate and respect that quality in someone. It is an important issue to me as well and I will have to look further into it because I'm not so comfortable with it at this point, especially given all the issues bees are facing these days.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Karnerblue wrote:

@Karnerblue Can you expand on this a little more? Are they actually killing bees to make the products? This is different than harvesting honey, which doesn't kill the bees. I have been having some trouble trying to really understand what bee propolis is and how it affects the bees.

@HappyDaze As far as I know, bees, in general, are not harmed in the collection and processing of the propolis.  There may be a random bee, or bees, here and there who may die just because it's the cycle of life.  IMO, it's no different that honeybees making honey.  The manufacture of it is all done by the bees w/o any human "encouragement" and the collection is done after the bees deposit it. Propolis extract has been used since ancient times in natural medicine as an antibiotic, antiviral, and anti-inflamatory.  It can be taken internally and also used topically.  I use a drop for spot treatment if I get any kind of small skin irritation.  I also use it in my skincare by either adding a few drops either to my cleanser or first essence.  

Super Contributor

Does anyone remember when the Q (and other places,) sold that "Bee Alive" royal jelly stuff? I think it was a supplement or something. It had to be pulled off the Q for some reason? Maybe becsuse of the clsims being mademade? This was early 2000's? I see it is for sale again but not on Q.

I have MS and remember seeing people used to have bees sting them as a treatment. Supposed to bring pain/symptom relief. Bee venom therapy.