Esteemed Contributor

Re: UNFORTUNATE TREND TOWARDS PERFECTION

@jubilant wrote:

I will admit that when I was younger I spent too much money on makeup.  I wished I had known then what I know now....I could have saved myself a lot of money for one thing.  I also could have put all that money to better use.

When I think of all the billions we spend on ourselves for beauty and think about all the hungry children a very few dollars feeds....well...it kind of makes me sick. Don't get me wrong, I still wear makeup and want to look as good as I can, but I think it is wise to take inventory of ourselves now and then to see if we have our priorities straight.  I think our minds are way too much on ourselves these days.

I look at makeup for me as my hobby. I love relaxing and just playing. So instead of crafts or reading my hobby is makeup. That's where I like to spend my spare money because it brings me joy. 

Valued Contributor

Some of them are truly hideous looking but think they look fabulous. It hurts to watch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday

Maybe I should explain myself a little more clearly.  I am not against doing things that give you joy. I like make-up!  Sometimes I found myself liking it "a little too much". That may not be the case for everyone.

I worked in a makeup store. I also did makeovers.  I enjoyed seeing women leave the store with an extra confident attitude and feeling good about themselves. It's just that we have to be careful, imo, not to overdue a good thing.   Anything can be done to excess.  I just wanted to achieve more balance in my life and am happier with myself when I can do that.  I am feeling that, in today's world so many Americans think "more is better".

One day I just looked at my make-up drawer and asked myself....why do I need so much?  I feel much happier when I find that balance and feel it frees me up to do (what these days) I am considering more important things.  I think, sometimes as we get a little older (I am 67), lots of us change our ideas on what really makes us happy....at least that is how it happened for me.